fa3_cz61_altistan_d1p2

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Ralian

fa3_cz61_altistan_d1p2

Post by Ralian »

Cool, day one part two of Altistan! Voice all your complaints here please and they will be fixed in the new version (in which I will be removing the third objective, it's pointless).

The Good:
- Great combined arms gameplay everyone! Watching mortars come in, greyhawks pass overhead, and large guns do their thing was great. I feel like there was just enough for the infantry to do (maybe just a touch too little) in the forest and town to keep them occupied.
- Nice work on the first objective I won't change much there. We lost (almost) nobody and the explosions were rewarding.
The Bad:
- Where did my civilians go?
- It was way longer than I thought it was going to be. I was aiming for the magic 50-60 minute range, ended up in the 90-100 minute range. Ergh. Will fix.
The Ugly
- The way in which I died was laughable :lol:

Can't wait to move on to Altistan 3 and 4! 3 will be HSLD-style, 4 will be well, how you say, above your pay grade.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Kefirz

Re: fa3_cz61_altistan_d1p2

Post by Kefirz »

From the UAV operators view, are there any persons with a laser designator?

I'm asking, because when the Darter went down I had to dive bomb like a stuka (it did work :hist101: ), but if you arm SL's with a designator you could get some nice cooperation between the elements.

All in all, a great mission. I enjoyed it.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

boberro

Post by boberro »

Length was good. Maybe you could add some spec-op reinforcement slots for those unlucky few who ate a bullet. Not full 40 slots, but something squad-sized (6?), so if everything goes good (that is it's going to take long) people can rejoin, and if everything goes south - fekkit.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Good corridor mission, and chopping off the third objective would probably cut the timeframe down to the ideal 45-60 minutes.

The second phase of the mission is basically Helljumpers-Redux, but without the tanks, so you may consider doing something that spices up Objective #2.

The city-base was eerily abandoned by the time we approached it. Everyone inside was either dead or had deployed to meet us. You might toss an inside-the-buildings garrison here just to give the infantry something to do once they reach it.

You may consider some restrictive ROE on the Greyhawk - we dropped bombs in the city because it doesn't say not to, and it was a way to quickly eradicate enemy resistance so we could move on to the ridge-base in a timely-ish fashion. Without the third objective, there's less need to be as time-efficient as possible.

If there is information that has significant bearing on the mission, please include it in the briefing proper. Remember: The fluff tab does not count as part of the briefing. In this case, I'm specifically talking about IEDs being a threat - it's mentioned in the Altistan fluff tab, but nowhere in the actual Situation / Mission / Execution / Administration / Credits tabs.

I'd suggest making the objectives and win-condition clear - as a rule of thumb, I always include this info in my Administration tab, i.e.: "Mission is won if CSAT maintains a presence within <marker name = "csatwin">the red circle</marker> for five (5) minutes or if 90% of FIA are dead." "Mission is lost if <marker name = "zarosclear">Zaros</marker> is cleared of all AAF or all CSAT are dead."

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Ferrard Carson wrote: I'd suggest making the objectives and win-condition clear - as a rule of thumb, I always include this info in my Administration tab, i.e.: "Mission is won if CSAT maintains a presence within <marker name = "csatwin">the red circle</marker> for five (5) minutes or if 90% of FIA are dead." "Mission is lost if <marker name = "zarosclear">Zaros</marker> is cleared of all AAF or all CSAT are dead."

~ Ferrard
Which reminds me: the end didn't actually fire. I ended it manually.
[/allegedly]

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

About those IEDs - how sensitive is the trigger on them? Because I think I was actually using one as cover for a few moments there as we cleared the town...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Just to point out, the base in sofia was pretty stacked with troops, but the IFV managed to deal with them pretty well. Combined with the bombing of the greyhawk and things were a bit empty.

What I would recommend is as Carson suggests, Maybe cut the last part of the mission, but spice up the second objective. Maybe have a QRF show up as the players enter the town or somesuch.

fer

Post by fer »

I support all of Ferrard Carson's points. This was a good mission, but I would prefer to see it chopped into 2 missions; don't worry if one is a 60 minute mission with two objectives, and the other is a 30 minute affair concerned with the hill-top base. Having a spread of long and short coop missions in the database really helps the hosts. Something to understand is that the mission was only allowed to continue to the third objective because there had been so few KIAs - if losses had been higher it may well have been called after the town. If you deliberately write a long mission, you always run the risk of seeing it curtailed due to platoon losses - but a session host might well be happy to string together a pair of shorter missions from the same series if all is going well.

Looking forward to the next instalment (a hopefully not dying in the first 10 minutes)! :hist101:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

fer wrote: hopefully not dying in the first 10 minutes)! :hist101:
But Comrade! It was such a glorious death!

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Ferrard Carson wrote:The city-base was eerily abandoned by the time we approached it. Everyone inside was either dead or had deployed to meet us. You might toss an inside-the-buildings garrison here just to give the infantry something to do once they reach it.
IFV1 gunner here. I think there was some sort of reserve force already -- a couple of minutes after killing the initial crowd a second very closely packed group turned up, probably from the barracks on the left side of the base. I believe this was roughly when the infantry got into the town but not the base proper so we were the ones to take them out.

An option might be just to add more cover to the base. The right side was pretty good for this already, infantry kept moving behind walls and stuff which made them a lot harder to sniper with the IFV MG. The left side was a killing field because it was so open.