fa3_c48_sandwiched

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Kasmeister

fa3_c48_sandwiched

Post by Kasmeister »

Part 1 of a 2 mission campaign thing. Rebels attempt to recapture their weapon cache in Pyrgos. It's their only chance to remain relevant in the war.

Mission name will make sense in the second part.

I'm already working on some changes, feedback is still very much appreciated though.

SuicideKing
Host

Re: fa3_c48_sandwiched

Post by SuicideKing »

Fun mission! The IFVs were brutal. :D

The infantry reinforcements dismounted early and just stood around, though. Didn't enter town.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

They had seek&destroy waypoints, they probably noticed someone and went into long range pew pew mode. I'll try other waypoints and make it work.

Overall I'm waiting for a AAR video to see how it went from player perspective. Thanks for feedback @SK.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Yeah, probably make them careless till they dismount or something.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Kas, If you take a look and unpack some of my missions (I think HSLD) you will see how I implement truck reinforcements.

I force the driver to be careless (hes his own group) and the reinforcements only get out when they get to the dismount point.

This can cause problems if the dismount ends up being too close to the players, but in this case the players are in the town, so you can be relatively sure of where the AI can dismount.

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

The drivers are careless and so are the reinforcments until the "get out" waypoint. The problem lies within the get out and the next waypoint, I'll see what I can do when I'm home today. Thanks.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

So if you have a "transport unload" waypoint, that will automatically make the group dismount.

What I do is (from memory):
  1. Make 2 groups, one is the squad, one is the truck w/ driver, named truck1.
  2. Load the squad using

Code: Select all

{_x moveincargo truck1} foreach units group this
  3. In the squad lead init, you can also put

this setBehaviour "careless"; this setCombatMode "blue"
  4. Give the truck a hold waypoint, careless, neverfire. (I also add some stuff to the truck init to disable aitargeting, dunno if it makes a difference)
  5. In the truck init, put

truck1 setUnloadInCombat [false, false]
    . This should prevent them jumping out on sight or hearing an enemy a mile away
  6. Hold waypoint is synched to a switch trigger.
  7. If you want to stagger multiple groups, give the truck a move waypoint after the hold but right beside it with a timeout of how long you want the to wait.
  8. Give the truck waypoints to the drop off point, ending in a "transport unload". Then tell the truck to get out of there or if an IFV, now give it combat waypoints.
  9. In the "on act" of the trucks unload waypoint, put

squad_leader setBehaviour "aware"; squad_leader  setCombatMode "yellow"
    where the squad leader has been given a name. This should mean the squad stays seated and calm, until they unload and then switch to combat. You can also put that code in a truck move wapoint just before the unload, so that they switch behaviours before they get out.
  10. The squad only need one waypoint, a move waypoint directed at their area of attack, then whatever you want after that, "seek and destroy or whatever".

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

If you want to stagger multiple groups, give the truck a move waypoint after the hold but right beside it with a timeout of how long you want the to wait.
Won't syncing "transport load" and "Get In" work better (before the hold wp)?

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Im talking about lets say you have 3 trucks full of guys. You want one truck to leave after the hold. The next to leave 60 seconds later and then the third 120.

You set them all to "switch" the hold waypoint on the trigger activation, but 2 of the trucks get move waypoints like 5 feet in front of the hold. These 2 move waypoints have the timeouts.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Oh, I see now. I thought you meant asking multiple AI groups to load/unload.

I once had that problem, two groups were init with moveInCargo of a helo, but only one of them would get out. The helo would take of before the other group would, and they would then fall to their deaths.

So I had to use a "get in" for the second group (maybe I used it for both), synced to transport load, then a get out for both synced to transport unload. That worked, finally.