fa3_c69_chain_lightning

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Mabbott
Host

Re: fa3_c69_chain_lightning

Post by Mabbott »

Or AAF and CSAT are in the same channel with AAF A+B getting INDFOR Alpha and INDFOR Bravo Channel, and CSAT getting Charlie and Juliet channel.
"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

There's no real reason to split comms on this one unless the host was trying something weird. That only really makes sense in a limited comms kind of situation, or an allies-but-not-really thing.

Sparks is probably right about the Mohawk being a bit... lethargic for the terrain. What I might do is redouble on the joint op thing and use Hellcats for recon and Tarus for transport regardless of the side. The alternative, I think, is to use Mohawks and paradrop in, and while that would be kinda hilarious I don't think it's appropriate.

Also, idle thought, how bad of an idea is it to start player helos in the air? Might be a way to get the recon started as fast as possible.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Paratroopers dropping into a HS;LD attack you say?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

fer

Post by fer »

darkChozo wrote:how bad of an idea is it to start player helos in the air? Might be a way to get the recon started as fast as possible.
You could start the recon birds in the air - but it might be best to have the QRF on the ground, since it's easier on comms / planning (for the SLs and their squads).

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Spawning in the air is Ok i think. The exploding helicopter bug is only when you spawn in the chopper on the ground I think. It would be nice to let the pilots know in the briefing that they are going to need to take control asap.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Eagle_Eye wrote:Spawning in the air is Ok i think. The exploding helicopter bug is only when you spawn in the chopper on the ground I think. It would be nice to let the pilots know in the briefing that they are going to need to take control asap.
Yeah, spawning in the air is okay (I did it for Winter Invasion). If you set the helo to "flying" (in special options drop-down in the editor) then the pilot already has control.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You could spawn in the air with the special options set to "nothing" but you would have to be very, very cruel and hidden from Comrade Fer very, very, very well.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

So, I've revisited this a bit and have ideas. I'd like some feedback before I go implementing because it's a little weird.

Basically, my thought is that it might be interesting to have more limited transport capabilities. We would have a scout Littlebird (did you know that there's an AAF paintjob for Littlebirds in the game? Because there is and it's great.) plus two Hellcats for a two-squad platoon. Two Hellcats can only carry 14 passengers, meaning that only one squad could be transported at a time. So the mission flow would be something like this: Scout finds camp 1, transports take Alpha to camp 1, scout finds camp 2, transports take Bravo to camp 2, scout finds camp 3, transports take Alpha from camp 1 to camp 3, etc. I would probably put some sort of marker (maybe not a 100% precise one) for the first camp so the initial assault could go out as fast as possible.

The reason I like this approach is that it that it actually simplifies the logistics a bit. Basically, you're still doing the same amount of planning (a drop-off/assault and pickup per camp), only it's staggered. While the transports are taking people to camp 1, the CO can plan for camp 2, and so on and so forth. Similarly, it also means less helos to keep track of in general. Also, thematically, the idea of helicopters as a shared resource kinda feels better to me.

The obvious downside to this approach is that there's a bit of downtime for whichever squad is out second. I don't think this is actually too bad (5 minutes maybe) and it's better than waiting in a helo, so eh. And I keep coming up with reason why other downsides aren't really downsides. So, what do (collective) you think?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You'll need a copilot for the scout.
And from what I remember of the naked AI manning technicals on that mission, the scout's life expectancy will be... low.
And your best copilot for that scout would be CO or SL. So command could be beset with field promotions.

Also, I don't think you can get rid of the delay for squad two; but then, we've had people stuck in the back of IFVs for longer than five minutes before, even if they were threatening to frag the vic crew by the 30 minute mark...

Ironically, if you fitted the MH9 with the optic from the Wy55 you'd have the better scout platform, but why do even that? Take an armed Wy55, strip its guns, tweak the rockets so they're firing smoke grenades and flares rather than rockets (if we can shoot tanks out of AH9 miniguns Comrade...), stick a pilot and CO or SL as JAFO copilot/observer, and that's a far better platform than the MH9 given the terrain and enemies.

Also, you need to run this at night.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

The scout heli would definitely have a copilot, probably an actual pilot so we have a spare for when one of the transports inevitably gets headshot flying 200kph at 300m.

The logic behind a Littlebird over a Hellcat is that a benchless MH-9 is very clearly a scout aircraft and not a transport aircraft. Hellcats don't really have that kind of customizability. But maybe I could hack something together, an armed Hellcat with reduced cargo capacity for reasons or something like that.