[Sun] 12 Apr 2015 (Misty surprises)

How we died (in the future)
Freyja
Host

[Sun] 12 Apr 2015 (Misty surprises)

Post by Freyja »

An absolutely phenomenal 46 crazed gunmen went on a merry adventure this night. I would like to thank everyone for their patronage and their patience when things invariably went a bit... Awry.

Missions played Afterparty
  • Skyways
  • Neuromancer
  • Infection
  • Infection
In this weeks excursion to the land of Altis, our intrepid heroes got to experience the wonders that is house-sitting while under intense minigun fire, or, alternately, firing miniguns at a house. The first mission ended in a surprising victory for the defending team, as they fended off all attempts at flanking through a combination of excellent marksmanship, blind luck and grouping an unwise amount of people together in an incredibly small space.

In a historic first, we managed to have a fully pacifist round of The Rundown, where the only casualties were the unfortunate few whom decided to end it all by getting out of their vehicles as they were driving at full speed down a road.

Thank you again to all the wonderful people that showed up, hope to see you around.

SuicideKing
Host

Re: [Sun] 12 Apr 2015 (Misty surprises)

Post by SuicideKing »

Beachfront Property
Bravo 1 FTL, INDFOR (attacking side)

Guests at midnight meant I had to be afk midway through slotting, therefore not realising that I was Bravo 1 FTL (instead of Assault Boat 1 FTL) untill after the mission started. The "team" list during the mission briefing unhelpfully told me I was A2-3:1.

Anyway, after a confused insertion, we headed towards a low wall a bit beyond the building we were supposed to check out, which I thought was a nice spot to shoot from. Which it was, except that I didn't shoot at the enemy dude I saw loitering in the compound to our right (quite near Bravo 2, who were firing into it). I was trying to figure out IFF.

Then it turned out we had horrible cover and we all died.

Gemoxy ended up being an unintentional mole thanks to a messed up CC, too. Treason! :cop:

The Mailman
Bravo...1? AT.

Night-time insertion. We ran to the hills and held the North. Then lots of helicopters came in and I discovered PCMLs are terrible at AA. Also confusion and scared running around. We still managed to win.

The Rundown
Bravo 1 AT, INDFOR

I was waiting in a balcony. I was waiting in a bush. The mission ended. the VIP escaped.

Always find this an interesting mission. A lot of luck and gambling involved. I played on BLUFOR the other two times, shooting down helicopters and/or driving on the highway and dodging ambushes. :jihad: First time on INDFOR, so I was praying and hoping BSL doesn't decide gun runs from the air are fun!

I still have to wait for someone on BLUFOR to upload footage of their play, but I fully expected them to go south (never seen anyone take the northern route, but I was told it's happened in the past) with a decoy on the highway. This time we caught not sigh of weary cylinders nor shine of the truck's aluminium frame. Nothing seemed to have passed on the highway.

Wake-Up Service
Juliet 1 AT

After insertion we took some fire from behind us, caught a bullet but applied first aid and carried on till almost the end without medical assistance. Anyway, mostly uneventful for us, ended up taking on reinforcements from Abdera across a highway. Just missed with two rounds of RPGs on a FIA truck (guestimated distance of 400m, I think it was closer to 350), but I think I caught infantry in the blast.

Anyway, JSL directed some useful mortar fire to take the final hill, so no one got killed doing that. Minor close combat action and reinforcements sneaking up from a forest took some lives, but I fired along with my comrades to celebrate the second victory for the day. :jihad:
Last edited by SuicideKing on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

Beachfront Property

B1 FTL

I'd played the attacking side on this one previously, so I opted for defending this time. My team was tasked with defending the house itself. The house was quickly engaged by the attack boat, and I ran around trying to revive everyone who had been downed by minigun rounds coming in through the walls (I only had the one FAK so I had to steal some from the medic). After that, some plinking at distant enemies, and some cc confusion thanks to Gemoxy :P. Got the call that some enemies had landed behind us so I heroically ran out, shot at some dudes and then volunteered my fireteam to clear the bushes and trees. During this clearing procedure I was mistaken for the enemy and cut down by bullets, and then finished off with a grenade. I think I was the first indfor to die. All good fun though.

Mailman

B2 FTL

This was a curious one for me. We landed at our america-themed LZ and moved to our OP. From there, I stared out at some rocks whilst everything else seemed to kick off. It was a bit like being in the eye of the storm, helicopters strafed us and tanks assualted us, autocannon fire sent off around us and choppers exploded, yet I seemed untouched by it all. Eventually, the engineers were extracted and our CO seemed to have left us to die. But the mission success screen triggered, so I suppose all was well.

The Rundown

TH4

What is there to say about this one? Some zen flying, a few drop offs (and one accidental use of autohover. I swear, it was an accident!), and some looking around for the apparently invisible blufor. I am told they took the south road and a chopper flew over them at some point. I am 80% sure it wasn't me, but I could be wrong.

Wake-Up Service

ASL

Had some good fun with this one. I led my squad over hills and through the fog, and much shooting at technicals was had. The close contacts on the slope of the final hill were interesting, though the compound was disappointingly unoccupied. I also learnt that UGVs cannot turn their headlights off. Having a bright light next to you as you overlook a town full of technicals is a somewhat disconcerting experience.

Afterparty

Much fun and silliness was had. See below for a sneak peak!

TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Reppyboyo

Post by Reppyboyo »

MOAR VIDEO!

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Started a new job on Monday and currently drowning in sixty-three new things I have to learn, so AAR is a bit late :D

Sunday actually went well for me, I had my new pedals (woooo!) and got to session early enough to get the last four minutes of the workshop (boooo!) and drop my framerate to 2fps in the explosives range while being strafed with rockets by a helo, catapulting me a hundred yards through the air. Which was fun.

Beachfront Property
AAR for Alpha 1 with Tigershark (FTL), Costno (AR) and Grumpy (RAT)

A solid plan for a two-pronged attack here met with two main problems; firstly, we had a traitorous spy in our midst broadcasting our orders to the enemy. He shall be dealt with comrades. :commissar:

Secondly, this was the first mission with the Marksmen DLC and weapon resting, and it gives the defenders a massive advantage in this mission. Alpha 1 dismounted, snuck up to a firing position on a very gentle sloping terrain, and then got hosed down from a bunker 200m away by what appeared from our perspective to be an automatic railgun...

The only fireteam to even get to the objective effectively was Alpha 2, led by first-time FTL Recar who has now foolishly demonstrated competence and will henceforth be pressganged into service at every turn :D
Unfortunately, they met too much opposition and were cut down and then executed in a demonstration that the AAF do not consider the FIA to be covered by the Geneva Conventions...

Mailman
Piloting TH2

It's a close-run thing with the rundown, but I think this was the most fun mission of the night for me. Certainly wins the blue ribbon for banter at any rate. I jumped at the pilot's seat like a bloodthirsty lemming in order to test out the pedals in anger, and they worked a charm. Really worth the money, I think. Of course, I'm a bit daft so YMMV...

We started off with a straightforward pilot's plan and lots of gallows humour, then a fairly straightforward loading and takeoff and some lovely formation flying by TH3. Ingress and the first LZ went smoothly enough, but shortly after lifting off, my door gunner tried to switch to the gun on the other side of the Huron to return fire on some AIs who didn't like us, but that annoyed Arma, who kicked him out of the helo without a parachute because that's what happens in real life when you turn around inside a helo the size of a flying bus. I didn't even realise it had happened initially and wound up talking to thin air for a few minutes, including warning him not to change guns because we'd just lost another player to that bug. Once I realised I was flying solo, and therefore as effective as a marshmallow as gunships went, I headed out over the bay to get away from possible AI fire and let command know what had happened. This initiative earned me first place in the queue for the final evac attempts, so I could secure my position as Folk Hero. Unfortunately, command didn't know about an autocannon with oversight of the proposed LZ and it opened up on me during my final approach when I couldn't turn (or I'd show them a larger target) and couldn't descend out of their cone of fire. The weight of the lead they added to the Huron exceeded its capacity to lift and I fell out of the sky and exploded. Then Command told me to wave off.

Zitron, however, was either in full-on nutter mode or had failed to correctly evaluate the tactical situation and pulled off an astounding evac from a very hot LZ for the NSA team. The LZ was in fact so hot that command had to use the rest of the army as chaff. But only the NSA mattered so we won :D

AWESOMESAUCE!!! :D

In retrospect, I think we needed to have just one or two percent more planning on the pilot's end of things - really, we should have had a point to cross the coastline and an IP to turn at for final approach to the LZs to stay clear of towns and AIs in the towns, but meh, live and learn.

Or explode in a ball of fire and learn, as in this case. Oh, and having the pilots in their own teamspeak channel? Excellent idea, let us coordinate far more effectively. Definitely something to put on the Folk Way Of Doing Things list.

The Rundown
Piloting TH2

Damn right I grabbed a pilot slot -- PEDALS, man, PEDALS!!!

Some initial confusion over loading occurred, leaving one of my chalk on another helo. And again I had the boss on board, and sounded like an idiot relaying his orders to the other guys on the skids, but they couldn't hear, and isn't it the pilot's job to ensure all his chalk know what's happening in relation to the helo? We also had some minor confusion over the plan's initial dropoffs, I thought we were to dismount our chalk, turned out we weren't, so we went off scouting the northern route along towns I couldn't pronounce the name of. We never spotted the enemy, and they got away.

Honestly though, I was flying and using pedals and got to do a pickup of our wayward AR guy who marked his position with smoke - which is the right thing to do and yet so rare I didn't realise that's what he was doing :) - so as far I was concerned, the mission was awesomesauce. I know it's selfish, but meh, I was of service to the Party, comrade! :D

Wake-Up Service
RAT for Bravo 1 with Netkev (FTL), boberro (AR) and Jeffers (AAR).

This was a somewhat sedate mission for me. We dismounted as planned, cleared out some buildings near the dismount point, debated if some pipes were for drainage or sewerage (drainage, going by the pipe diameter), saw a technical in Galati but didn't blow it up from 500m away, which I totally could have done, and then headed down towards our first waypoint. Then someone we never saw opened up on my fireteam and two seconds later I was solo. This surprised command. It did slightly more than that to me :D I had been 30m behind them and only missed execution because I stopped to put away my RPG. Command ordered me to link up with Bravo 2, so I checked over Jeffer's body because I wasn't sure if he was down or dead (he was dead) and I headed off to Bravo 2 carrying much nicked corpseloot. Catching up to Bravo 2 took a while, and Galati was allegedly clear by the time I linked up with them (I say allegedly because Tigershark took one to the spleen after it was declared clear). I covered while he was revived (and this was the only time I fired during the mission), and we headed uphill to the FIA outpost, which fell inside of a minute before I ever saw a target.

Oh well, I'll take the win and besides, I flew for two missions, I'm grand :D

Tank U Comrade
Gunner for Tank 2 with Eagle Eye (Commander) and Eggman202 (Driver)

This was short but fun :) And there was a big gun! And thermals! Oh my!

We eschewed complex planning for a go-there-kill-them strategy. Tank 1 took a hit on initial contact unfortunately, but Tank 3 got their attacker, then we made contact and killed the second enemy tank and went hunting the last tank, finding it by almost driving over it and killed it in a blind panic, then got its last crew member with the coax machine gun after HE shells proved ineffective at point blank range.

Skyways
Gunner for Green

This was quite trippy :D And the discovery of a traffic cone attached to the tail of our Taru didn't help that. Halfway through I had the brilliant plan of using the parachute I'd swiped at the start of the mission to jump out and land safely and fire on Red from the ground while Green kept firing from the air. I informed Ajax that I had a plan, jumped, then found that the parachute was a lie and splattered all over the virtual arena. Then I watched chagrined while Red landed all their troops on a building to enact my plan. And win. Dammit.

Neuromancer
Green team

Ah here. Who painted the red guys black in a black virtual arena while green lights up like it's christmas?

Infection
Alive, then dead, then Zombie

Dammit Zombies are fast. Even churches don't slow them down.
And yet, when you are the zombie, it's damn near impossible to charge a hospital roof.

I did say damn near impossible though. We got them in the end...

(Sorry folks, you can't watch this in the US or Germany. Blame Zitron)

All told, a bundle of fun and those pedals were worth it and weapon resting really changes the game. 10/10 for the helo missions, want to do again :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

"TH2 Wave off...okay, never mind" :lol:

Damn nice extraction by Zitron though.

I love these multiple perspectives. It's also weird to see myself doing stuff or hearing my own voice on over comms in someone else's video (reppy's). I wonder if it'll be possible to do a multi-cam edit of the various perspectives? Would take a ton of effort and uploading/downloading stuff, though.
drop my framerate to 2fps in the explosives range while being strafed with rockets by a helo
Unless anyone else did that too, that was me! :P

EDIT: What's that GPS thingy at around 26:00, sparks?
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

SuicideKing wrote:"TH2 Wave off...okay, never mind" :lol:
I nearly laughed up a lung :D
Damn nice extraction by Zitron though.
Yeah, how come he didn't have the autocannon to deal with? Had they used up all their ammo on me or something?
I love these multiple perspectives. It's also weird to see myself doing stuff or hearing my own voice on over comms in someone else's video (reppy's). I wonder if it'll be possible to do a multi-cam edit of the various perspectives? Would take a ton of effort and uploading/downloading stuff, though.
I've dumped all the raw footage from the last few games into a google drive to let folks do this, but really what would be cool would be if all the guys who record were on the same fireteam, or (and this would be cool) were all the pilots for a run of something like Bees or Mailman.
The new job eats all my time at the moment so video editing is getting squeezed a bit, but I'd like to give that a try.
Unless anyone else did that too, that was me! :P
Git :D
EDIT: What's that GPS thingy at around 26:00, sparks?
That's the Tao Folding Map mod; the paper version looks nicer, but the iPad version has a nighttime mode so you don't blind yourself by looking at the map during night missions, so I switched over to that version. (It's the same mod btw, there's just a config option for paper or iPad).

Actually, that might be something to ask the Party Leadership - could we add the st_map_autobrightness mod to the approved client list? On the night missions, flicking over to the map is horribly blinding and that mod seems like a small and simple fix...

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

I just reenabled shadowplay recently, so I wouldn't be against doing some recording in a fireteam (I generally like to play FTL). My video editing experience is nil, but I'd try to help out in any way I could.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:I just reenabled shadowplay recently, so I wouldn't be against doing some recording in a fireteam (I generally like to play FTL). My video editing experience is nil, but I'd try to help out in any way I could.
Between you, me, reppy, ajax, madrak and anyone else who feels like installing OBS, it should be entirely doable. Then we just need a good mission with some funny and/or intense explody bits and we could have something really neat...

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Two things Sparks...

1st When is your upgrade coming? :D

2nd I'm pretty sure you need to deploy the parachute :laugh:
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott