[Sun] 12 Jul 2015 (Ghost Hawk Down, Sunny Side Up)

How we died (in the future)
fer

Re: [Sun] 12 Jul 2015 (Ghost Hawk Down, Sunny Side Up)

Post by fer »

madrak_the_red wrote:Also, apologies to IFV2 in Huzzah II. I am not sure what killed you, and any sitting around you did was because I was scared of you dying. And then you died under my command anyway :'(
Not your fault. As vic commander I failed to a) get out and check that we were positioned in such a way as to be able to quickly move/reverse out of danger (the driver can't see), and b) forgot to fire the smokescreen after the first impact (because I am incompetent was attending to important Party business on my mobile 'phone and not at all browsing /r/gon--). One interesting note: perhaps it's my setup, but I didn't actually hear anything when we were first hit. In fact, I only really worked it out when I saw some visual cues and then the indicators started turning orange/red. Is this normal? I would have thought that an RPG slamming into our armour would be pretty audible for the crew, or am I just very old and deaf? Don't answer that, Kefirz.

I love our new mechanised platoons, though. Love, love, love. :coolbert:

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Nah Fer I have had my character don the earmuffs and industrial strength earplugs when inside of an armored vehicle before. Sometimes it can be impossible to know who, what or where when it comes to taking fire.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Peasant wrote:Does anyone know what defeats lock from ATGMs in Arma? Is just smoke enough?
From my recent experience toying around with Arma 3, nothing. Smoke is actually useless once the missile is fired, but you can *sometimes* prevent the launch itself if you pop smoke beforehand (which is next to impossible, since you don't get a warning when lased). You can pop smoke after the first impact and prevent the second missile from launching, unless you're facing something like a BTR-K, which will usually salvo-fire two missiles in a row.

The one thing that works is to be in a hull down position. Arma 3 ATGMs seem to go for either the center of the boundingbox, or the recorded position (the one you get via the getPos family of commands) of the vehicle, both of those being fairly low to the ground. In a hull down position, the missile will usually hit the dirt in front of you. Riding full speed behind terrain works as well.

I did come up last week with a scripted solution for a Trophy-like APS for tanks and IFVs (which would make sense in 2035, since the Merkava MK4 is already equipped with it), but in the absence of top-attack ATGMs, in Arma 3, careful positioning should be sufficent in most cases.

Nim

Post by Nim »

Black Mamba wrote:The one thing that works is to be in a hull down position. Arma 3 ATGMs seem to go for either the center of the boundingbox, or the recorded position (the one you get via the getPos family of commands) of the vehicle, both of those being fairly low to the ground. In a hull down position, the missile will usually hit the dirt in front of you. Riding full speed behind terrain works as well.
I felt like illustrating this for the sake of illustration and stuff.

Nim

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Peasant wrote:Does anyone know what defeats lock from ATGMs in Arma? Is just smoke enough? Does the smoke do anything?
The smoke doesn't do anything against the initial shot - ArmA's ATGMs have always been way too short ranged and way too fast to reflect their actual performance in real life, so ArmA's implementation of vehicle smokescreens is superfluous at best. Their best use in ArmA is to allow an armored vehicle to withdraw and lick its wounds or preemptively cover the movement / extraction of infantry.
Peasant wrote:Bravo spent a lot of time clearing buildings in Ghost Hawk Down and all that it seemed to result in was most of Bravo 1 getting killed.
It wasn't the building clearance that killed us. Tiger got shot by a .50 cal technical doing a drive-by. A comrade (who will remain blissfully unnamed as he enters the re-education camp) obliterated himself and two more members of Bravo 1 by firing his PCML straight into the ground instead of that same technical while we were scrambling away from Tigershark's corpse. I and our one survivor picked up the ARs and then got exploderized ten minutes later by that bloody Marid and its ridiculous GMG.
fer wrote:One interesting note: perhaps it's my setup, but I didn't actually hear anything when we were first hit. In fact, I only really worked it out when I saw some visual cues and then the indicators started turning orange/red. Is this normal?
It's not normal, but it is how ArmA 3 models vehicle sounds for some very odd reason. Proof can be found in last week's run of Puddle Jumpers, cued up here to right before a fairly large explosion. Turning out is all the more crucial for situational awareness, but simultaneously impossible on about 60% of the crew positions in the game. Yet another bit of ArmA 3's questionable implementation of vehicles.
fer wrote:I love our new mechanised platoons, though. Love, love, love. :coolbert:
Despite my negative statements about ArmA 3's vehicles, I definitely agree with this sentiment.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

fer wrote:One interesting note: perhaps it's my setup, but I didn't actually hear anything when we were first hit. In fact, I only really worked it out when I saw some visual cues and then the indicators started turning orange/red. Is this normal? I would have thought that an RPG slamming into our armour would be pretty audible for the crew, or am I just very old and deaf?
I (the driver) was only able to tell we got hit because I happened to be facing north, and saw the missiles scream towards us. I tried to reverse out but got caught on a wall (since I parked facing away from it and didn't have sufficient time to think.) Sorry there.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Nim

Post by Nim »

Huzzah II

Rebel Alliance Pt. 3

fer

Post by fer »

Nim - any chance you coud do a version of the Huzzah II video with the Folk ARPS short ident at the start, and the long one at the end, please? For propaganda reasons.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

A nice, relaxed, proficient evening, this...

*heehhe* Sorry, sorry, I almost kept a straight face that time. :D

But seriously, the evening needed far more incompetence, bloodshed, guts and mayhem. And helicopters. FAR MORE HELICOPTERS. Eagle_Eye, check your PMs :D :P

Trail
Alpha 1 AR with Tigershark (FTL), Kefirz (AR), SuicideKing (RAT), Glenn (R) and Grumpy (R)

New mission! New challanges! New ways to mess up! :D
We dove in without much communication of the plan (I felt, at any rate), and most of us in Alpha 1 were a bit confused about the logistics. We were meant to hide until the targets showed up, then Bravo would engage them and we'd ambush them from the flank. I think.

In the event, Bravo were spotted instantly, the warning went out immediately and we had to hustle to a new point to attack them. We got there, one or two tracers went out in the general direction of a possible contact, followed by ALL THE AMMUNITION FROM EVERYONE AND THE MORTARS, and we obliterated the targets, most of the civilian population, and half the trees in the forest too. Also, Bambi's mom. Sorry bambi, but she was very tasty.

I still don't know how Kefirz died...

Ghost Hawk Down
Bravo 1 AR with Ferrard (FTL), Tigershark (AR), Chris (RAT), Glenn (R) and Noose (R)

Aw, only one helo? :(

Anyway, into the Hunter with Tigershark, and after pondering scaring the crap out of Bravo squad by firing through their truck (we didn't) and obliterating a rabbit (we did), we pushed up to the city in the vehicles. The call to dismount on arrival went out, but I stayed on the HMG until the HEMTT pulled up just in case. I then got out, and 0.23 seconds later a 40mm went off ten feet from me and I dove back in, but I couldn't find a target and then BSL ordered us to move, so okay, on we go. We were supposed to clear from the '1 start' to the '1 end' point, which we did, and then we moved deeper into the city. I thought things were going reasonably well (I didn't know the CO had bought it in the first few seconds of city life), though I was a bit disoriented at one point. But we moved on, and were finding our stride when, as we were holding down a junction, a technical rolled up on us. I had the fecker in my sights and was rattling off a belt at him from my AR when the world exploded behind me from a PCML ND. Oh well, I've done worse. Tigershark had taken some 50cal to the face from the technical, so basically that one drive-by killed almost all of Bravo 1.

There were some fun moments afterwards in spectator mode - Nim's sneaky when he wants to be :D And Zitron, nice Top Gun moments, but that was the hairiest wave-off I've seen since Chewbacca last said goodbye to Han :D

Huzzah II
Bravo 1 FTL with AJAX (AR), LINK80 (AR), Bormanov (RAT), Glenn (R) and Bobo (R)

Hm. Hey, I'm all warmed up, there's an FTL slot for Bravo 1, why not? What's the .... no, I'm not saying it.

Full FTL of experienced people, a reasonable plan (Alpha draws fire at the OP, we push up from the south-west to take the town), so away we go. And we had a mostly quiet time of it in the initial push, despite lots of nerves at the nearly total lack of hard cover as we moved up to WP whatever-the-heck-it-was. But we were lucky and careful and got to the waypoint more or less unmolested (and killed one or two careless AT EIs). We regrouped, rearmed, caught our breath and pushed on to the town. Glenn saved my ass while I saved his simultaneously in the approach, then we had fun clearing out buildings (well, mostly the fireteam had fun while I did the paperwork, but that's my schtick. Unfortunately, with the town half-clear, we lost our IFV. Boo. We pressed on, cleared all the town, then moved up to a staging point from which to assault the compound to the north.

We plinked a bit at the compound to soften it up (scaring one EI to death), and then under IFV4's cover, bounded across to the compound in another nervous few minutes. We had some accidental blue-on-blue moments at the wall of the compound, but sorted that out fairly sharpish, then worked our way through the construction site mopping up infantry. We'd cleared the site and were working on ancillary buildings when the mission was called as a success.

Not.
One.
Casualty.

:) I'm kinda proud of that :)

Rebel Alliance Pt. 3
Alpha 1 AR with Zitron (FTL), Peasant (AR), Nim (RAT), Glenn (R) and Bormanov (R)

Okay, enough commanding, time for a big gun and lots of shooting!
First though, steal all the FAKs from the cars and distribute them to the team. They think they won't need them, but my spidey sense is tingling...
We ran down the valley and paused at the final turn, while Railian had what looked like a vacant seizure, which Zitron treated with the utmost care and respect. Then we pushed round the bend (some would say that wasn't hard) and I took up an overwatch position behind a big rock with my big gun. I saw a threatening pair of pixels and shot it, a lot. Then there were hints of other evil pixels so I shot at them while they fired 40mm grenades at me. Then I guessed where bad pixels might hide, and I shot those places. By this point, everyone else had pushed up so I moved up behind them, but Bormanov had taken a round to the spleen. I (ironically) hadn't any medkits, so I threw smoke while someone else rescued him, but then I saw more bad pixels on the hill behind the town so I set up and started firing. Unfortunately, they began firing back and while reloading, one of them hit me in the noggin and I was spectating.

And it was pretty spectacular - audiox ordering the death of his fireteam (and them... obeying? what? we can do that as FTLs now? :D ); Tigershark jumping in front of every bullet going; Nim managing to thread a rocket out a door and between two railings to hit a turret; even the indestructible Bollywood Moustache being destructed.

Roomservice
Police Medic with Madrak (Captain)

Did we plan this too much? I think we planned this too much.

My main role though, was to hang back and medic it up. And having only a pistol to everyone else's SMGs, I was hanging back with gusto. I did manage to kill a potted plant with a long-range pistol shot through smoke, that was kindof impressive; but apart from that I was mostly there for moral support. But it was fun...

After-party

Yes. Yes indeed.

Trail
Alpha 1 RAT with Nim (FTL), Ralian (AR), Bormanov (AR), Glenn (R) and Grumpy (R)

"Hey, let's try that one again"
"We'll be much sneakier this ti... what do you mean, spotted already?"
"CHARGE"
*bangbangbang*
*ALL THE AMMO*
We win!

Shipping Problems

Kept my clothes on this time, it was a bit nippy. So nippy that I hid indoors for a bit. Unfortunately when I emerged, I didn't recognise audiox's hat fast enough :( Sorry dude.
And rather than charge head-on, I tried stalking a bit, but it turns out there are capture markers and you lose the game if you ignore them. Boo.

I still don't understand how you can kill yourself with a door...

Tank U Comrade
Tank 2 driver with Eqbot (commander) and Grumpy (gunner)

Honestly, I'm a very safe driver normally. I don't usually spin tanks in mid-air upside down three feet off the ground...
Also, I may have gotten carried away with the whole jousting metaphor...

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Pulled together a couple videos from this night:

Ghost Hawk Down

I had no idea how much of a beating we took this mission until the four or five of us climbed into the helicopter at the end and someone asked if that was everyone who was still alive. I guess all those GMG sounds were people dying.

Rebel Alliance Pt. 3

Here we see Audiox test the loyalty of his fireteam by leading them across the firing line of an HMG. I was not one of the loyalists, and I managed to pull through long enough to be confused about who was still alive and what the objective was and how CC works, but eventually I found other survivors among piles of dead Folk.