Re: [Sun] 19 July (Getting harder)

Post by Sparks »

To be fair, that last one should be:

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Ninja Demon

Re: [Sun] 19 Jul (Getting harder)

Post by Ninja Demon »

hide and dont get seen they said.... fine i will just lay down and hide with mf fluffels
https://i.kiwi.io/i/nov4k8cw7l.png
https://i.kiwi.io/i/ue2ivmdzkw.png

glory charge into mortar scrips is not adviceable in the future
https://i.kiwi.io/i/okxhlv4ldr.png

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

Made a video from Bees, should have the next 2 missions up tomorrow. Sorry about the helicopter computer fans, it's hot in my house and didn't download OBS until today with its glorious PTT feature.

"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Landing
Deployed as Alpha Squad Lead
So, Landing was a bit of a cluster. We set off, only to come under a continuous barrage of RPG-32 HE rounds as they rained down from the heavens above. Our vic was slightly dinged, but one thing we could not have predicted when we set off was an underwater rock on the exact stretch of shoreline we were aimed at. It popped all our tires, the vic commander shouted for us to debus, and I promptly got downed by an explosion, then run over by the wheel-less IFV as it backed away from the obstruction. As in, no tires. As in, rim through neck.

"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Carson, we regret to inform you that your son was decapitated by the vehicle that was to provide fire support for his squad..."

Bees
Deployed as Platoon Commander
It was supposed to be a quick in-and-out deal. Sniper Team finds the tanks, Alpha blows them up, Bravo provides security whilst Alpha blows them up.

"Supposed to be."

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

:commissar:

Squirrels
Deployed as FIA (DefendFor) Alpha 2 AR
So this mission is an exercise in asymmetry. FIA and AAF have different strengths and weaknesses: FIA has plenty of cannon fodder brave revolutionaries with which to fight from a fantastic urban environment, but AAF's extremely dangerous Gorgons will absolutely chew up the rebels if a force-on-force engagement ensues. What's more, FIA is more fragile, with a defeat happening at 80% casualties while an AAF defeat requires 100% losses. Put simply: AAF wants to force an engagement with part of FIA at a time, obliterating the rebels in detail whilst keeping their Gorgons away from any close-in terrain that could hide a rebel missile team. FIA, on the other hand, wants to draw AAF in for a close-range knife-fight where well-coordinated FIA teams can surround and overwhelm the oppressor's precious few men and materiel.

This time, things worked out to FIA's favor.

As Alpha 1 distracted the AAF attackers by presenting them with juicy, juicy targets, Alpha 2 filtered through the town to lay an ambush in the streets. We passed through back alleys and abandoned living rooms and kitchens until the roar of an AAF IFV's engine filled our ears from half-a-block away. Then we sprang our trap. Me and the other AR hammered rounds out to get their attention, and our sweet, sweet RAT found the perfect window down an alleyway to slam an RPG-32 into the Gorgon's side. The government vehicle brewed up beautifully, and we set about fending off a close assault by IndFor's now enraged survivors. It started with a point-blank murderization by myself as AAF's Fireteam Leader turned the corner on me.

Before the grenades could fly, I dashed away to the next building back, only for two more AAF soldiers to come to their leader's belated rescue. I heard their footsteps, spun in place, then ripped one of them to shreds as he crossed the doorway. The other ducked back behind the frame before my tracers could intercept his skull, but I was already moving before the grenade came out of his pocket. Out and around the side of the house, and I caught the guy from behind as he made ready to turn into the doorway again. His buddy behind him ate a few rounds, but I don't think I downed him at this point, and I didn't stick around long enough to find out. Finally, I dashed down the nearby alleyway to see if they would come out onto the main road to avoid the flurry of death around the back alleys, but I was downed by another sneaky AAF across the street.

After some smoke, my FTL dragged me back to my feet, and I took position in a house, neatly transfixing the heads of two more dudes with bullets before the call went out, "Hey, I think that's Alpha 1!" I stopped firing, but the deed was already done, and two dudes were dead and out of sight. Saddened that I seemed to have ended the lives of my brothers in arms, I followed my team to maneuver on the last few contacts remaining while A1 cleared out the compound to our north. On the street corner, I saw a gun barrel poking out from behind the porch of a house, and after verifying that no friendly contacts were near that corner, I let loose and poured an entire box of bullets into the porch. "He's dead!" came the call halfway through the 200-round belt (one of my teammates had a better angle on him), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make absolutely sure that the enemy's friends got the message too. Hence the entire box.

Victory was declared soon thereafter and I checked the score screen with saddened visage...

...Only to see nothing but enemy kills on my list. Five of them. Five, sweet, beautiful kills all to myself.

:coolbert: :coolbert:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

That's all you have on bees Ferard?
What made your helo crash?

From the snipers perspective we ended up taking out a lot of enemies in support of assaults on the 2 tank positions. We operated more or less indepently which was a little bit unfortunate. After watching Mabbots video it would be nice if snipers are used as more of a tactical asset like mortars or an airstrike. With Alpha holed in a building we could have thinned resistance around them and inidicated when they would safe to move.

This isn't a criticism of CO (I know you were dealing with a lot) but food for thought for future CO's. Snipers can be an asset to support troop movement as well as a offensive tool. What snipers need to stop being lone wolves is priority tasking. We got some in the begining (find and identify tanks) but got very little as the chain of command began to unravel.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ferrard Carson wrote:As Alpha 1 distracted the AAF attackers by presenting them with juicy, juicy targets, Alpha 2 filtered through the town to lay an ambush in the streets. We passed through back alleys and abandoned living rooms and kitchens until the roar of an AAF IFV's engine filled our ears from half-a-block away. Then we sprang our trap. Me and the other AR hammered rounds out to get their attention, and our sweet, sweet RAT found the perfect window down an alleyway to slam an RPG-32 into the Gorgon's side.
That was planned????

Are you sure we were in the same Alpha 2 squad? :D

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Tigershark wrote:bees
I'm actually looking forward to my own video for once from last night, so I'll just say this:

Sparks: "Hey Noose, you know those cool Dslyecxi videos where he swoops in and saves the day?"
Noose: "Yeah, I love those things, they're cool."
Sparks: "Yeah, this is going to be just like that except for the part where it works."

See, good pilots know when they're completely fubar'd...

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

I'll drop a video when I get around to it, but look at Mabbot's video around the 1:00 minute mark... holy hell, that sums up my whole experience in Bees. Note specifically the grenade round that landed right next to my chopper.
"holy shit, my engine's red, I have to go now!"
"Crap, I still have people on board!"
After all that was done, I looked over and realized that my engineer was not dead, but actually had gotten out of the chopper somewhere. So I had to go find bobo (who was having mic issues apparently) with an engine that couldn't take a 9mm pistol round without falling out of the sky.
Eventually we got it all sorted out and I swooped in to.... well, get shot at a low level and have the chopper plunge to Davy Jones locker.

Sorry bobo, I reviewed my video and realized you hopped off when I landed at the alt lz to get the one straggler out of my helo and started to repair my bird, but I flew away! The whole issue would have been resolved if I could hear you like you assumed I could... I should have been more specific when I was yelling for everyone to get out (was there someone in the back I couldn't see? I know there was at least one live member of A2 on the bench.) Really sorry about leaving you :[

Bees was the other mission that was insane. I was the A1 FTL... and the very first thing that happened was my field promotion after ASL got drowned horribly (and run over by the IFV, which I didn't see). Also, after a minute of dicking around and trying to push to the road and halt inbound reinforcements, the IFV also ran our already horribly injured AT (no_croissants) over. We were eventually surrounded and killed by enemies while following orders to get to the compound asap (not that the orders contributed to us dying faster.) Croissants and I were the last men standing. I had him hide out in an abandoned building 50 meters from the compound with me in case he had a golden opportunity to take a shot to save everyone. He died right in front of me while I was trying to find an FAK that he claimed he had. oh god, the ptsd of being a sole survivor.

Ferrard, sorry about the interruptions during the briefing. That was stupid of me.
Last edited by Ralian on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Cardova

Post by Cardova »

Hey guys, Cardova here. I'm very new to Arma and just wandered in via the reddit post.

Landing - I was in Charlie, so we went to the island first. It took me way to long to figure out that I had AT, and was finally able to disable a single enemy tank. In crossing over to the mainland our vehicle took a mortar and sank.

Bees - Bravo landed right in the middle of the beach and I was shot a few seconds after leaving the helicopter. Grumpy managed to heal me and I was able to move up to some cover behind a wall, but was shot again and died shortly afterwards.

Squirrels - BLUFOR Alpha 2 moved the the north of town to start, then moved south and east to meet the incoming enemy. I thought I killed an enemy but according to the post-game stats I didn't kill anyone. (Is casualties just a list of people who died in my group?) But I had a good time moving around the buildings taking cover and looking for enemies, and I even healed someone. Right at the end I tried to heal Raptoer but I was dragging him at the time and it burned my FAK without using it. :/

Hedgehogs - This one did not go very well at all for us. Alpha 1 moved up to the first ravine, then pretty much got slaughtered trying to move up to a disabled tank for cover.

Weekend Warriors - This was a lot of fun. I managed to kill three enemy and only one player! :P Sorry Mabbott.

Roomservice - I had very little idea what was going on in both of these, close quarters fighting is tricky. People got stuck in the floor, it was fun.

Racethunder - Lol karts. I only finished second to last. :P

All in all I had a lot of fun and will mostly likely be back for future sessions. (Can't make Tuesday unfortunately.) I may see if I can edit together a video, so you all can remember what it's like to be a noob again. :P