fer

[Sun] 02 Aug 2015 (Fighting Chinchilla)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • HSLD
  • Buzzard (updated)
  • Bay
  • Room Service (after-party)
SWEC is down, but I know we had just over 31 brave comrades tonight. And a chinchilla. Let's not forget the chinchilla, even if it was too busy eating paper to configure its CC. Damn you, chinchilla! Your failure to correctly configure your comms set-up meant good men had to die. Good men, chinchilla. Good men. And Tigershark.

:argh:

We began with a run of HSLD, commanded by comrade Tigershark. With LZs right next to the target compounds, it was gutsy stuff - a direct air assault of the kind that only recently got our platoon massacred in a run of Bees. Yet, somehow, with one-and-a-half squads, comrade Tigershark pulled it off. Three CSAT men were killed, and the platoon extracted safely with the loss of one LB (although I don't think we had more than 1-2 KIAs total). Brimming with confidence, comrade Kefirz seized the CO slot for a run of Buzzard, determined to reverse his recent luck with this mission. Well, I have to say, from an infantry-assault perspective I thought this went very well indeed. From a fixed-wing aviation perspective ... not so much. We must have fought for 45 minutes - and fought hard and well, I might add - only for the captured jet to explode in a fireball on the runway. Oh well. So finally (almost), a return to Bay, originally written by comrade Wolfenswan and me, but which comrade Eagle Eye has updated to the new OrBat ... and more death. A lot more death. We did manage to fight our way to within visibility of the airstrip, but when you can see the enemy and the enemy can see you and the enemy is a SPAAG and you're just a crunchie, well, it only ends one way.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Finally, some recommended reading for all comrades, new and old:
:v:

boberro

Re: [Sun] 02 Aug 2015 (Fighting Chinchilla)

Post by boberro »

Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

And obviously.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Cardova

Post by Cardova »

High Speed, Low Drag - Alpha 1
Fairly early on I was between a building and a wall trying to figure out where the enemy was when I got shot...

(Helljumpers - Map bugged, failed to load)

Buzzard - Alpha 1
We did a really good job of moving up from the landing zone around the airport clearing out enemy as we saw them. Right after the jet crashed we were north of the runway covering east, a Strider landed on the beach and started hitting us hard. I was the last person standing in A1 and was urged to run away. Unfortunately I saw that Ccrasus was recoverable a short distance away. While I was healing him up I was hit and went down, but Ccrasus was able to get away. I sacrificed my life for you buddy!
Surprisingly, this didn't hit me:

Bay - Bravo 1
Early on I was confused on friendly positioning and we had enemy contact very close, apparently I hit but didn't kill two people on our side, sorry!
We had a lot of ground to cover, and were able to manage that fairly well.
There was one particularly well executed surprise attack on an enemy HMG and troops: (2:46)

Shortly thereafter we got hit by a tank. I was the first hit but that signaled the beginning of the end for Bravo and we didn't last long after that.

Roomservice - Mafia (FIA)
I moved in quickly to the second floor overlooking the main entry on the first floor. I ended up killing Dabbo and Sparks, although I probably could have done better if I had held a more defensive position.
(5:20):

I also listened in on CC for most of these missions, although it ended up being pretty confusing for me. Hopefully I can learn what to listen for there and be squad lead at some point.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Crassus learns the hard way...

Zitron has a potty mouth

Don't let Tiger fly they said...he is shit they said....good call Kefirz
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

zitron

Post by zitron »

No wonder he crashed, you were pointing a laser into his cockpit.

Pooter
Host

Post by Pooter »

Yeah, I don't know what happened on Buzzard, I had plenty of speed, flaps were down, but no lift came.

As for the chinchilla...

She is an interesting character.

I also commanded during Bay, and although I did get alpha slaughtered, I don't think we ever really stood a chance against 2 AAVs, 3 IFVs, and 2 strider HMGs.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Pooter wrote:Yeah, I don't know what happened on Buzzard, I had plenty of speed, flaps were down, but no lift came.
You didn't have enough speed. 160kph is lower than the 170kph minimum takeoff speed and way less than the 180kph recommended takeoff speed for the buzzard :(
You had kindof a rolling start to the takeoff roll (you want to spool up with the brakes on and then release) and then you were sortof nosing up towards the end of the runway before you had enough speed - that develops drag which stopped you getting past V2.

Mind you, it was a pretty solid demo of the dangers that lie between V1 and V2 :D

V1 - speed of no return, if you don't stand on the brakes before this point, you don't have enough runway left to stop safely in. Past here, you takeoff or crash.
V2 - speed at which you can safely complete the takeoff even if an engine quits.

She is an interesting character.
You guys and your pet rats :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Nim

Post by Nim »

My favorite part was when CO told me to have Raptoer fly instead of Tigershark and then the jet exploded.

Nim

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Well yeah, I told Tigershark to get out and Pooter to get in. Because he was Pilot 1 and still alive. He slotted first and was eager to do it, Tiger was just put in his slot as a filler :D
Besides... all that DCS training mustn't be good, right? RIGHT?
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott