[Sun] 16 Aug 2015 (Its raining choppers)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Sun] 16 Aug 2015 (Its raining choppers)

Post by audiox »

Tonight a peak 43 of us showed up to have a good evening of much shooteyness. Which is pretty darned grand.

In retrospect dialing up the difficulty in a wolf-mission was perhaps not the greatest idea ever, but hey, at least the first two were pretty successful right? :hist101:

Tonight we played :
  • Helljumpers
  • Good Morning Altistan
  • Low Tide
After-party :
  • Tank U Comrade

As always, comments are most welcome below. Also, if you have a nice story be sure to tell it. Videos are always much appreciated, and will be appropriated by our propaganda departement if you tell us about them.

If you think commanding seems like fun, yet hesitate because you worry that you won't come up with a reasonable plan on such short notice, then check out our leadership programme.

If you want to test out an updater/launcher for all your mod needs look no further than our Comrade head's marvellous contraption.

Did you notice that some vehicles/players had way cool FA Tractors on them tonight? That's because of the power of our squad tags. Get yours whilst stocks last.

Ralian

Re: [Sun] 16 Aug (TBD)

Post by Ralian »

This was a fun session, thank you to all the hosts and everyone that volunteered to test my mission so I could run it today. It was good fun running something I put together for you guys, and I quite enjoyed my first time being zeus with so many people.

Good Morning Altistan (my mission) had a few scrapes here and there but overall I got the impression that everyone enjoyed it. If it was a bit dull, at least it was a break from the monotony of getting continuously brutally murdered. I think audiox was right that the mines were really slowing progress. I really should have created "suspected IED zones" (that is, near the first outpost and within the town) to give the drivers peace of mind. Future parts of the Altistan Annexed series will continue to have mines, but hopefully I will be more conservative than just saying "basically check the entire map, have fun."

By the way, my intent was for alpha to completely mount the hunters and roll into the town, but I suppose running works too. I guess it made sense with all the mine paranoia. Hopefully that wasn't too dull.

In any case, please tell me what you loved / hated / would change about the mission here: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1849, and do post any videos you made so I can see what went wrong from your perspective :)

"Hunter rain... some stay dry and others feel the pain." - Tay Zonday, probably.

Also, I unlisted the source of me zeusing in case you wanted to see it. It's not produced but it's good if you want to know what was happening at x minutes.

Low Tide

Really the most interesting part for me was when I got to fly, of course. The first part was mostly uneventful, hold blowing up an IFV and nearly dying.
Last edited by Ralian on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Peasant

Re: [Sun] 16 Aug (Its raining choppers)

Post by Peasant »

low tide bravo squad lead

This went badly... My original plan was that bravo would advance on a broad line, to give everyone room to find cover in what looked like a relatively open plain. This didn't go well for several reasons:
1. The terrain was actually full of little gullies and defiles. What happened was that the fireteams disapeared in to the terrain and I never saw them again. This meant it was more or less impossible to coordinate the teams, which slowed everything fought down.we also were suffering from comms difificulties.

2. We were being flanked from the south west. I ended up running flank security, which took the medic and I way behind everyone else, which again put me way out of position and unaware of what was going on.

Then everyone got in chewed up by the hmgs . I couldn't see the hmgs and by that point, the attack helo was dead. There's very little our infantry can do against Hmg bunkers if they're more than 400m away.

If HAT had AP rockets for bunker busting, that could have been fun.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Well, it had been a long time... and, even in the age of the unprobable ugly-looking future, FA is still the nicest place around to play! I also have to admit that bipods and AI suppression make for a very nice coop experience.

Helljumpers B1 AR

I liked the mission. Sure, it had a few low-activity moments, but the initial progression in the gullies, with sporadic contact, was pretty nice. Didn't see much of the ambush due to one of the MMGs insisting on shooting just over my head, so that I couldn't get my head out of the grass. Then lazer got repeatedly shot in the face, but we made it after using half the country's stock of FAKs.

Good Morning Altistan A2 AR

Featuring the worst reaction to sniper fire ever. Ralian, if you were Zeus'ing that sniper during the logistics nightmare, you could have shot one or two of us to wake us the hell up.
We took the QuestionMark compound, then I got ordered to get eyes somewhere, and I exploded pretty much instantly.
Were there actual squishie-triggered IEDs in that compound? Or was I the victim of someone trying to open his inventory?

Low Tide A2 AR

In the purest Wolfenswan style, we took fire from everywhere, all the time. Bodge still got us to move in a pretty nice fashion, so that we were soon the last survivors of the entire platoon.
Then, in the purest FA style, we charged an enemy baffled by such a display of boldness, and almost took that hill. Almost.

Good times! It was nice to hear all those familiar voices, and those new ones!

blip2
Host

Post by blip2 »

Helljumpers MAT2 Spotter

Attached to Bravo we walked at the rear for a few kilometers before setting up next to the road. Unfortunately the ambush point we picked didn't have... well anything but grass and a few low walls for cover, sightlines were poor but following HAT1 taking out the lead tank in the convoy we nabbed a full transport truck and helped Bravo tidy up the remaining infantry.
While we were engaging one of the other tanks snuck up from behind and spraying Bravo with MG rounds. Fortunately one Titan missile later the crew bailed out and we took them out.
We then moved down the hill (yay more walking) to clear out the Motor Pool but didn't meet very much resistance and then the round was over *huzza*

Good Morning Altistan IFV1 Gunner

IFV1 participated in lots of shooty fun times. Clearing a significant number of infantry hiding in bunkers at the airfield at 700m and a technical. We then moved up behind the infantry towards the town cleaning up any infantry standing in the open from 1km away. Another technical down we hesitantly edged between buildings at which point the round ended.

lazerdx

Post by lazerdx »

Black Mamba wrote: Then lazer got repeatedly shot in the face, but we made it after using half the country's stock of FAKs.
:psyboom: > :science101: > :mrgreen: "Thanks guys!"
edit: I should mention I really had a lot of fun FTL'ing in that mission. I almost cried when that tank killed half of us.
Were there actual squishie-triggered IEDs in that compound? Or was I the victim of someone trying to open his inventory?
The Party seems intent on slandering the Engineer team with some kind of falsehood that we missed a mine. To that I say "who let the Capitalists infiltrate our ranks?" Deflection is the better part of valor, after-all. :commissar:

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Black Mamba wrote:Featuring the worst reaction to sniper fire ever. Ralian, if you were Zeus'ing that sniper during the logistics nightmare, you could have shot one or two of us to wake us the hell up.
We took the QuestionMark compound, then I got ordered to get eyes somewhere, and I exploded pretty much instantly.
Um, I don't remember placing any snipers down in that mission. Could you have mistaken 7.62 rahim rounds for sniper fire as that's not normally what you're getting shot at with? Sorry to hear you got put out so early.
And yes, there were IEDs on the road by the compound. For whatever reason I think the engineers decided it might be better to search the compound for mines than the road, and there was a nice moment when the engineers called "all clear" and aquarius (I think it was aquarius) promptly ran into an IED. It was quite comedic.

To all wondering, I tried to write the briefing to explain that there would only be mines near compounds (question marks) and within cities. There were only two mines next to the compound and the only others were within Molos. Apparently I failed at making that clear, I'll make more strict mining rules next time.

lazerdx

Post by lazerdx »

The honest truth is that I failed to specify "and check the road" when I gave my partner in crime the order to scan that half of the compound (which was marked with a ? which the briefing did in fact alert me to). We got better at finding them after that! At that particular point I was mostly worried about the "shady AAF characters in windows triggering IEDs" bit, since all of Alpha was nicely posted up inside of the compound. One cheeky piece of scripting gets triggered and Alpha is a smoking pile of ash. The reality was that they just wanted to horribly maim IFVs and COs and so all the explosives were really on the roads outside of the compound. Which I think was totally fine to keep ambiguous, and if we were a smarter ENG team probably would not have posed as significant an issue.

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Black Mamba wrote:Featuring the worst reaction to sniper fire ever. Ralian, if you were Zeus'ing that sniper during the logistics nightmare, you could have shot one or two of us to wake us the hell up.
Fuck, I just reread this. I'm way too tired. Go look at my video at the 27:00 minute mark... you will see your death. You weren't killed by a squishy mine, but you were standing a bit too close to that IED/civilian bomber dude that was just suspiciously standing on the road. When the hunter came rolling by... well, you were collateral damage.

Also, it's good to note I wasn't using triggers for my IEDs. I figured I'd just give myself full control over what was going on. So welcome back mamba! I hope your experience was explosive as you had dreamed of :twisted:
lazerdx wrote:Which I think was totally fine to keep ambiguous, and if we were a smarter ENG team probably would not have posed as significant an issue.
It's cool dude. I should have been more clear in the briefing. I think I'm also going to include a picture of ARMA IEDs in the briefing for reference... it's hard to find shit when you don't know what you're looking for.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Ralian wrote:And yes, there were IEDs on the road by the compound. For whatever reason I think the engineers decided it might be better to search the compound for mines than the road, and there was a nice moment when the engineers called "all clear" and aquarius (I think it was aquarius) promptly ran into an IED. It was quite comedic.

To all wondering, I tried to write the briefing to explain that there would only be mines near compounds (question marks) and within cities. There were only two mines next to the compound and the only others were within Molos. Apparently I failed at making that clear, I'll make more strict mining rules next time.
CO:Have you cleared the mines?
ENG:All mines clear!
CO:*runs into a mine*

As for the briefing, I did get the message, I just thought better safe than sorry. I assumed you mined both roads to Molos, and there could be some straying to the countryside.
[/allegedly]