[Sun] 27 Sep 2015 (Goodbye, Tigershark)

How we died (in the future)
Costno
Host

Re: [Sun] 27 Sep 2015 (Goodbye, Tigershark)

Post by Costno »

Minor suggestion from a pilot, if we do this in the future it might make sense to only have one, maybe two helis orbit in a given area. I don't think there's thaaaat much risk of a collision, but it's rather difficult to keep an eye on both the air and the ground while also flying in anything but a straight line.
I think as long as we specify an orbit direction, speed, and altitude, it can be safe. Sparks seems to be TH1 often so I think of that role as kind of squadron leader, he is in a good position to organize this. I agree that having only a couple helis at a certain altitude is good, have some at around 200 and others around 300. But the orbit around the area really helps pilots know good pick up zones and know where enemy contacts are before they begin an extract.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Costno wrote:Sparks seems to be TH1 often so I think of that role as kind of squadron leader, he is in a good position to organize this.
Dude I've been TH1 twice :D

I do wonder about the orbit -v- land -v- hover at a point choices though. More thought needed...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Pretty sure the three times I've flown you were, which means 100% of my sample! Therefore, always...

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Costno wrote:
Pretty sure the three times I've flown you were, which means 100% of my sample! Therefore, always...
Thrice? Yikes...
Ah! No, I was TH1 last night, but TH4 was leading for HS;LD because TH3 and TH4 had further to go to their LZs, that's what's confusing.
I think I've only been the guy in front once for HS;LD II and last night for Bees. We've not really done the air organisation much in the few months I've been here.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Ah I see.
But yeah, HSLD flight practices for HS LD would make us even more HS, LD :D

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Costno wrote:
Minor suggestion from a pilot, if we do this in the future it might make sense to only have one, maybe two helis orbit in a given area. I don't think there's thaaaat much risk of a collision, but it's rather difficult to keep an eye on both the air and the ground while also flying in anything but a straight line.
I think as long as we specify an orbit direction, speed, and altitude, it can be safe. Sparks seems to be TH1 often so I think of that role as kind of squadron leader, he is in a good position to organize this. I agree that having only a couple helis at a certain altitude is good, have some at around 200 and others around 300. But the orbit around the area really helps pilots know good pick up zones and know where enemy contacts are before they begin an extract.
Yeah, maybe a better way to put it is to only have a few helis on scout duty. Basically, out of nontrivial flying, watching the ground, and avoiding collisions, pick two.

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

I think the consensus from the pilots is that orbiting is a good thing, but it needs a little refining. I did consider giving everyone flight levels and running it like I was Heathrow Air Traffic Control, but I thought it might be a bit much. It was really useful as CO having 5 extra sets of eyes with which to spot things, but I'm not sure how much of that information got transmitted in a useful state to the infantry. That's probably my fault though.

In terms of helicopter organisation, we don't really have a dedicated FAC or co-pilots or other people who can do that job in normal Folk missions. I was doing it in HS,LD, but that's a mission that doesn't need very much commanding on the ground. Even then, Bravo got lost in the extraction phase- I told them to go south and use the Alpha LZ, but Bravo went North-west ish and went firm while I was paying attention to the Alpha extraction. My mistake. HS,LD has 5 helicopters, and I think that's the max you can reasonably have. I think the difficulty in commanding HS,LD is in the helicopters, not the infantry, and for that reason its up to the CO to run the helicopters. Other missions, where there is a more complex infantry element, may require a FAC or other such person to run helos.

Freyja
Host

Post by Freyja »

I don't think it is possible to take a bad photo of the future black-hawks.
FULL

Meanwhile in CHARLIE VEHICLE BEST VEHICLE (Oh god press the FULL button why did the colours become in space)
FULL

And a couple of coming home from a trip to HSLD featuring a nice view and a love that could never be.

Tubby McChubbles

Post by Tubby McChubbles »

Pancho TE: MAT1 Gunner

I actually did alright for once! IE: I didn't teamkill anyone and I killed a few AI. I did manage to start a vendetta with the ZSU that was roaming around, with my missiles failing to have any effect and drawing the vehicle's considerable shooty wrath down upon my and mine. I am possibly therefore responsible for more deaths on the Blufor side, by attracting the attention of the mean beastie.

I utterly failed to film Bees, as I had to rapidly download FRAPS and kept picking viewpoints completely out of the way, as well as being unable to remove the spectator overlay.
However, Pancho TE came out fine, except I didn't manage to record my mic input. (I had assumed it would be recorded in-game). So you don't get to hear my dulcet (mono)tones as I hand out vague directions and swear myself into the grave!

EDIT: No longer private! Thanks Mabbott!

Reppyboyo

Post by Reppyboyo »

Great fun as always, only made it for Pancho which was a rather long and epic mission, surprisingly turning out in victory.
As well as HSLD for a bit till my game crashed on left me in the middle of nowhere apon reconnecting.

No video this time, I was on the other halfs system for this. Didnt want to miss Tigersharks last game.

Farewell Tigershark, no man has ever touched me like you did.