[Sun] 11 Oct 2015 (First World Problems / Waffly Jesus)

How we died (in the future)
fer

[Sun] 11 Oct 2015 (First World Problems / Waffly Jesus)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Mutineers
  • Pancho TE
  • Inter IV
  • Waging War
  • HSLD
  • Shipping Problems (after-party)
  • Helicopters (after-party)
Tonight saw an extremely good turnout of 53 comrades, and a session that ran past 00:00 UK - the Party thanks everyone, old and new faces, who came along tonight. To those of you who stuck around whilst we restarted the Arma server, a special thanks for your patience. I apologise if I was [even] scratchier than normal - it's not just that I'm old and grumpy, but the rise in numbers, combined with some server wonkiness, made the cat-herding a little more stressful than usual. Still, given that we are experiencing some of our best player-counts since the heyday of our Arma 2 era, these are truly first world problems. I only ask that - please - during slotting especially, keep the banter to side-chat.

The session started off with Mutineers, a brand new mission from comrade Dark Chozo, in which comrade CO Kefirz's BLUFOR platoon (which included divers on quad bikes), rescued a defecting AAF squad from a town full of enemies. Next up, our numbers made it impossible not to tear-up my carefully prepared run-list and select Pancho TE. During this large-scale landing operation, comrade CO Waffly's mechanised forces eventually cleared a whole valley and took the town. Comrade Waffly even managed a resurrection. Next, there was adversarial action in Inter IV, but I've no idea what happened because the server locked me out for that one (thank you to comrades NetKev and Wolfenswan for stepping in as temporary host, and helping with the post-mission restart, respectively). Waging War saw us actually win - which made a very happy change from our usual experience with that mission, although I understand comrade BSL Sparks was very frustrated at the end. Still, we continued the evening's winning ways with an extremely effective run of HSLD, in which comrade CO Wolfenswan's helibourne ninjas managed to get in, drop the HVTs, and make it home for a BBQ in record time and without loss. Extra points go to comrade Ralian for his ability to park his helo in a hanger. All in all, an evening of really, really effective work from everyone.

:v:

I guess for the mission making cadre, we'll just have to start adding more death.

:colbert:

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Finally, some recommended reading for all comrades, new and old:
:v:

Cookieh

Re: [Sun] 11 Oct 2015 (First World Problems / Waffly Jesus)

Post by Cookieh »

I sure showed that bunker.

Post by 40 »

I had no idea that the mission I commanded was one of the harder ones for you guys. It gives me a bit of a big head to think that I helped make it look easy (but of course all the credit belongs to the squad leaders). Also I'm pretty sure that Sparks was being sarcastic about his frustration: his team had setup a bunch of mines and they were hoping to see the explosions but the mission ended too quickly.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

We. Had. So. Many. Mines....

All that buildup and no explosive release. Soviet damn near cracked...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Had to leave early for this one, but we played one of my missions so obligatory AAR.

Mutineers AAF A1 FTL/commander

COing your own mission is weird. In theory, my plan was for us to exit the church area, head northwest, and meet NATO in town. What actually happened was that we got delayed exiting the church and stalled on the outer wall. Then Tubby tried moving past the wall and got shot, then OneRaven tried saving him and got shot, then Costno tried saving him and got shot, then I decided that we probably shouldn't move past the wall anymore. The four of us that were left went back into the church to make a stand, and then I got headshot through a window while I wasn't paying attention.

While I couldn't see how NATO was doing for the first half of this one, from what I did see it looked like the mission went well. One of the things I was trying to accomplish was keeping the IFVs at a nice balance between instantly-blown-up and completely overpowered, and from what I saw that seemed to work pretty okay. Also the escape at the end was suitably awesome, that Panther must have dodged like 15 rockets.

Pancho TE A1 Assaultman / J1 Assaultman

Started my tenure with Alpha by clearing a house of a couple of AI. I ended my tenure with Alpha immediately afterwards when our entire fireteam got cut down through smoke while charging heroically across an empty field. I was the lucky one not to survive the encounter.

Later I joined back as part of Juliet. We hitched a ride to the front line, faffed around for a bit, and then went to hitch another ride when Juliet vic decided it wanted to blow up. Lucky for me, I was second in line and only got incapacitated by the explosion. After some emergency patchwork, we moved into town and proceeded to clear about fifty thousand houses. I successfully picked all the empty ones, so the only action I really saw here was when a CSAT guy wandered into the middle of our team, I shot at him and he 360 noscoped me right in the chest. And then we won.

pepper

Post by pepper »

Mutineers - The All Seeing Eye, AKA UAV OPERATORRRRR

I was up for some casual spotting and communicating, I do like the UAV! Command obeyed me to get out and work my eye in the sky magic on the enemy, and thus I did. Marked the enemy at the outpost and spotted the AT soldiers on the perimiter. After this I relocated the UAV whilst not paying attention to the friendlies, I stared cooperating with the artillery team in a attempt to relieve some of the green's caught in the middle. I initially gave the house itself as target, which unfortunately was picked up early enough by the fire director!

Anyway, as much as loved seeing death from the skies and coordinating Fer's Uber pickup, I love zooming the ground even more. So as I took a glorious swooping dive down over the Uber dispatched death I took a significant amount of fire(from what should be friendly infested area...) and thus my UAV came to an untimely death.

I still managed to make myself useful my shooting small arms fire on the orca that was strafing the extraction mission(provided by Uber Corp, offcourse) and shouting insults at it.

Pancho TE - Aerial target practice for the AI, AKA UAV Operator.

This missions was... disastrous. Deployed the UAV, took to vertical flight and consequently got shot down just past the spawn zone.

After this I remarked the IFV would exploded, and no 60 seconds later my words became gospel. After this Toaster, my fellow body snatcher and I decided to valiantly storm the enemy, only to fall my by friendly fire!

stalkerfriend

Post by stalkerfriend »

darkChozo wrote: While I couldn't see how NATO was doing for the first half of this one, from what I did see it looked like the mission went well. One of the things I was trying to accomplish was keeping the IFVs at a nice balance between instantly-blown-up and completely overpowered, and from what I saw that seemed to work pretty okay. Also the escape at the end was suitably awesome, that Panther must have dodged like 15 rockets.
So pretty funny story about the Panther. It was, of course, my first day with the FOLK ARPS crew, and I was the driver for Isaak (Gunner) and Kas (CO). I spent 100% of the game looking through that tiny little rectangle of a window waiting for someone to tell me to do something having no idea what was going on. IT WAS A LOT OF FUN. At the end when we were heading out I had no idea we were even being shot at until I saw a rocket land ahead of the vehicle. Isaak kept asking permission to return fire at the chopper and no one was responding but I just kept telling him to forget it and waste 'em. It all worked out in the end though.

I'll definitely try and make it to next weekends games!

fer

Post by fer »

The Panther has less legroom than Uber Lux, and a bumpier ride, but it got me to my flight on time (even if the 'terminal' wasn't up to the standards of LHR T5).

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

Multineers - The worst CO vehicle commander ever

So this one is gonna be short. I fell for a trap and became the CO vehicle CO, with Isaac and stalker as crew. We waited around a bit and then drove a bit forward to where the divers were sitting with their quads (still ~400 meters away from the front). I turned out of the hatch as a real commander would and got hit with a bullet right after the assault started. My soul stayed with the vehicle thought, and Isaac and stalker managed to save the day and deliver the last 2 alive from that AAF fireteam to the extraction. Good job tovarishch.

Pancho TE - as a simple rifleman who carried a launcher from his dead teammate later on in THE BEST FIRETEAM :coolbert: - ALPHA 1

After briefing on the carrier we landed on the beach with a mission to liberate the town from our enemies, CSAT. We knew it was going to be a tough battle, and that many lifes will be lost. But as our motto says, we either win, or die trying :clint:. It started off easy. Too easy... We fired a few shots at bushes, but that was it. Cleared the first buildings, way to the next one is ~50 meters in open field. It was then i should've suspected it was a bad idea, but we were alpha 1. It's just a 50 meter sprint, i thought. We gonna pop some smokes, we're gonna be okay. It was not okay. Just as we started running CSAT unleashed hell on us. We had no idea where the fire was coming from. I was just behind the ftl when i saw him drop to the ground. In that moment my legs were cut down as well, and i saw blood in my eyes. I thought it was going to be the end. Then i heard massive supressing fire and grenades exploding in front of us. I saw my teammates go prone near us and bandage our wounds. No, it was not the end. We were just getting started.
We got off with one casualty, darkChozo. Our fireteam managed to finally get into that buildings' yard and cleared the houses in it. That was when the heavy artillery came. CSAT had some more suprises for us. I saw a house 200 meters to our west with bravo squad in it get shredded with 20mm rounds. Some were fired at us as well, luckily none hit any people. The worst thing was, the armor was nowhere to be seen. We only found them after crawling through some huge bushes in a valley for at least 20 minutes. We entered a two story and noticed two APCs. I didn't get a chance to fire my PCML at any of them, as the other squads already fired them up. After that we cleared the rest of the town. No suprises there, the CSAT was already backing off, except for one crazy guy, who tried to kill as many of our men before going down. I saw him go around the corner with his gun up and my teammates looking the other way. I could shoot him already, but one of them was in the way. I had to let him shoot my friendly to be able to spray my whole magazine into him. It was fast. I don't know how, but that friendly survived those 15 pieces of lead penetrating his chest. I helped him up just in time for a victory callout. We only lost about 2 people from the original fireteam, as opposed to the rest of the fireteams in the platoon getting wrecked to pieces. Alpha 1 best Alpha.

(Sorry for a bit of wall of text)

Inter IV - the last mission i played this session, as a rifleman in the defenders, in THE BEST FIRETEAM, (unfortunately not alpha 1 this time because it was taken by someone else) ALPHA 2!!!

This one was kind of boring. We had like 3 fireteams as defenders, and the attackers had 4 if im right. We occupied some houses which were constantly shot at, and tried to return fire. Like literally, lead was hitting the insides of my house every tenth of second. It was pretty quick, because it ended just about when i started seeing, and taking some nice shots at the attackers. We ended the mission with 4 men still alive and willing to fight, with no chances though. It was pretty cool, but i think it did stop a bit prematurely, me and Mabbot still had a handful of ammo and we could kill at least a fireteam from where we were at. I planned to go full guns and blazing :coolbert:.

Honestly, really fun session, if not for those addons problems. I managed to be just fine with vanilia arma thought, so thats okay.

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

Mutineers Alpha Squad Lead

Our mission was to heroically charge the heavily defended main entrance to town. After some comms difficulties, we set off, Infantry dismounted in cover and we started clearing the Initial defended compound. approx 5 minutes later, comrade Kefirz gave the order to thunderun to the AAF. My vehicle crew having cunningly cleared the road of mines with their guns, we thunderunned into town, hit a mine, dismounted, fixed the vehicle, remounted, thunderunned again and disomunted to cover North. I heroically led the advance and less heroically got shot in the head and died.

There was a minor scare for a while because Kefirz went very quiet on Commander channel and some of us thought he was dead. Please brave commanders, remind us that you are alive at regular intervals

Pancho Te Alpha 1 Vic commander

This valley is a very dangerous place to be in a vehicle. The Marshall is armoured mainly with tissue paper and the enemy has Titans and that bloody Tigris which can kill a Mashall pretty sharpish. Added to this fact is that generally, early in the mission the vehicles will be providing close support to the infantry, rather than long distance overwatch. Basically, we died fast.

Deputy JTAC

Two notes here: 1. AI controlled little birds care not for your puny rules of engagement, nor do they care for their own safety
2. You cannot choose gun or rocket runs. Calling in the little bird is kinda a crapshoot on this mission because If the pilot decides he wants to fire rockets at a house, he will fire rockets at a house. It may be worth considering switching out the little bird for something more precise.

Inter IV CSAT Alpha 2 fighter

Spent entire mission crawling down a ditch. Nice change of pace.

waging War HAT gunner

We had an ambush plan. We had a killzone. We were all in place. The convoy was rolling straight into the ambush. Then Bravo started their assault, which was possibly the nosiest thing in human history. This spooked the convoy and it stopped and the infantry began dismounting. Luckily, I had thermals. Easy mode activated. 2 missiles to disable the Kuma: good comms as I could not see the crew dismount. If that hadn't been called out, I might have wasted all my missiles on the Tank. From my spot, I was also able to kill one Gorgon, and then we manoeuvred to kill the second Gorgon. It went very cleanly.

[HS;LD Alpha Squad Lead

Went very smoothly actually, and well done to my helicopter pilots, who landed in some pretty tight LZs. ( I actually used green smoke for signalling. I've never done that before.)