[Sun] 08 Nov 2015 (Memory Leak)

How we died (in the future)
PhilFlame

Re: [Sun] 08 Nov 2015 (Memory Leak)

Post by PhilFlame »

Outpost Victor [Co-op]
- in which our platoon was subjected to a massacre, and I mostly fought a personal war against my bipod and the terrain.

Alpha 2 AR

FrozenLiquidity

Post by FrozenLiquidity »

boberro wrote:I'd like to assure you that it's not going to look like this on every session, but I'd lie. :commissar:

THE PARTY WANTS TO ASSURE YOU THAT EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS INCONVENIENCES WERE SHOT AND THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT.
Sparks wrote:Comrade Frozen, I deeply empathise, you had a cruddy run of luck last night, you literally landed in the worst-hit fireteam on each mission. That being said, it wasn't all luck - some mistakes were made and will be appropriately dealt with :commissar: while in at least one or two other cases, the mission briefings needed some tweaks so that CO was more cognisant of the mission parameters and didn't accidentally murder entire fireteams make tactical errors that were clearly visible in hindsight.
*snip*
Netkev wrote:I ran mostly un-played missions, which was certainly part of why the commanding officers had trouble.

Dying very early in missions is something a lot of people have intermittent problems with, believe me when I say that if we could prevent it, we would.

The afterparty was unusually dysfunctional. You can chalk that down to my own incompetence and the fact that one of the scenarios caused the server to break, slowing the proceedings down by quite a bit. These things happen.
Thanks for the responses guys - I've got a few runs with this crew under my belt now, and I know they're not all like this. I mean, just look at all the excitement in my AAR from last week! Anyway, I know that these runs are generally much better than this. This one - was just not a good run. :bang:

Until next time!

EvilMachineDad

Post by EvilMachineDad »

Costno: That was me, second out the door in Manhunt. I had been watching that door (our rear) for soo long :D
But we were pinned in there. FTL got shot in the door peeping out the other side. Too much in a rush to go tactical on the retreat >_<

I do love urban combat though!

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

This one - was just not a good run
This is an unfortunate byproduct of playing a game with terrible bugs and then trying to play/manage 49 others. It makes the great times better, but sometimes things just dont go your way. That is when I go play League of Legends and be happy that at least we don't tell each other to go die when SL's plan goes down the drain.

I myself had an absolutely terrible night on sunday, although the blame is almost squarely on my shoulders for 90% of it. I was involved in both coop missions as a squad leader, so apologies to those under my command.

Infantry Fighting Vehicles - Charlie Squad Leader
This mission opened well enough, although I was a bit frazzled, both with trying to organise my squad, some new players and also trying to figure out the mission. Half of the confusion was mine, because I completely missed the map markings for the actual base, thinking that the airfield was full of badguys, and trying to cover the southern approach to the base. My tunnel vision meant that I ordered C2 into a pretty unenviable position on the side of a hill. They were tasked with plinking at what turned out to be about 5 fireteams worth of bad guys roaming the hills, which I of course convinced myself was just 2 or 3 lone snipers. At this point I got shot in the head, and got into spectator just as the fuel trucks started moving and things got real interesting.

Outpost Victor - Bravo Squad Leader
So this was a mission I made. Its a bit of an experiment for me with large scale complex missions, which havent gone so well for me previously (See 4fps-athon "hold-the-line" pre-remake) so any feedback would be great. It started off well enough, with us landing in a gully and setting up a perimeter. While trying to juggle my fireteams, attachment, helo, a medic having problems with their gps and general "Oh god I hope this mission works" anxiety, I was informed that MMG lead was down, and that MMG gunner was in the ocean. In retrospect I should have handled this better, but we were being shot at at the time and I was trying to call in helo support. So my apologies Frozen, in that case you were a victim of both ARMA and my diminished brain capacity on a sunday night.

Anyway, once the nearby shooters were eliminated, we proceeded to get a front row seat to a fantastic gun-run on the radio station by goose 3 and 4, and moved in to secure the enemy FOP above the base. By the time we made it into the base and cleared it out, zeus had apparently taken off the gloves, doused them in lighter fluid, lit them and decided to smother us to death with them. Then I got pinged by a 50. cal from the Panther parked outside our walls.

All in all, a lesson in "when you feel like just being a rifleman, sometimes its ok to just be a rifleman", but hopefully an exciting time for others.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:Anyway, once the nearby shooters were eliminated, we proceeded to get a front row seat to a fantastic gun-run on the radio station by goose 3 and 4
Nope. :P
(Goose 1 and 2 did the gun run on the radio station, gooses 3 and 4 hit other targets)
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

It was perhaps not the smoothest night we've ever had, but there were fun moments :D
Especially our helos-vs-planes presession... session. :D

Hellcats. Gotta love that wap wap wap :D

Infantry Fighting Vehicles
Alpha 1 FTL with bennettleben (AR), Jacob (AR), BeforeLife (RAT), Fuhji (R) and Hikkikomori (R)

I love the core mechanic in this with the fuel trucks, nice solution to the problem of challenging but realisitic-ish reinforcements.
We were a bit uncoordinated here though, like I mentioned earlier. The plan was for A1 to clear the compound at A1-0 and then overwatch for A2 as they advanced on WP Ocean; we'd join them when they took it and screen for enemy to the east while Bravo assaulted the base. But the plan didn't survive contact with the terrain, the elephant grass meant we had no visibility of anywhere on the valley floor. Then A2 moved before A1 was done clearing the compound and I didn't twig to what was happening until it was too late and half of A2 was gone before I could warn ASL that A1 had no visibility of A2 to provide overwatch with and couldn't even see the EI they were engaged with. A1 wasn't exactly acting as a cohesive unit ourselves either. After we linked up with A2 it seemed we were catching our breath, but the lone wolf syndrome wasn't done with us yet and that's a particularly nasty problem when combined with very limited visual range. We stumbled forward towards WP Ocean with A2 and ran right out in front of riflemen in bunkers because we weren't bounding or scouting. I'm kindof surprised we didn't all die immediately. BeforeLife and I dropped a magazine and a few UGL rounds into the bunkers before the rest of A1 caught up; we regrouped and confirmed we'd taken the waypoint then headed east with ASL to screen for Bravo as they assaulted the main base. We had cover behind a house, but instead of spreading out we tried to all crowd into the house in full view of a static HMG and almost inevitably half the fireteam dropped dead in the door or at the windows.

At this point command retasked Alpha with assaulting the base. I grabbed the AT from BeforeLife's After Life and got out of the house, only to have Arma eat my KatibaGL through the wall and wasn't able to retrieve it and had to grab an AR instead. That delay done, A1 moved up to the base, linked up with A2 and was finally moving coherently, only to arrive just as the fuel trucks did. We AT'd and killed almost all of them in an attempt to keep the IFVs dormant but two got through despite dropping a full box of 7.62 at them. Apparently we have bulletproof fuel tanks. And then I got clevergirl'd by an IFV through the bushes. Bother. But it looked like everyone else had a just peachy time of it trying to kill IFVs with satchels and grenades :D

Outpost Victor
Pilot, Goose 2 with ThatCatWho (copilot)

Y'know, I think this was one of our better ingress flights. Nobody crashed, nobody lost sight of anyone, we were roughly in formation, comms were decent, and we all hit our LZs more or less safely (at least in Alpha, Goose 3 and 4 seem to have had hotter LZs). That was the last we saw of the groundpounders - Goose 1 and 2 egressed east and returned to the formup point and were on a CAS run before 3 and 4 got back. The radio tower seemed deserted though, no obvious targets. We dropped FFARs and 6.5mm into it anyway and took a sporting egress route back to the formup point. Lots of hovering later, after 3 and 4 got their CAS runs in, FAC tried scouting the southern end of the valley with 1 and 4 but the no-fly zone was being energetically defended and both 1 and 4 were downed by MANPADs just outside of the no-fly zone. Then 2 and 3 got a CAS run on inbound reinforcements in trucks. We got some rockets off at the truck before the IFV nobody had mentioned opened up on us with heavy MG fire and our sling hook was tragically lost, along with ALL THE FRAMERATES :D I'm not entirely sure how we didn't crash into the stadium evading that, and we caught a few rounds with our main rotor too and had to egress north for repairs. While we were patching up, 3 got a CAS run on a tank and some IFVs. I didn't hear what happened, but a moment or two later 3 was gone and it was Goose Two, Best Goose.

Then FAC reported that he couldn't raise anyone else in command or anywhere else, which was bad. And that there was an enemy AH9 in the air, which was also bad but manageable. We were hovering at the northern edge of the valley with ThatCatWho trying to get my eyes on the tank he was watching so I could kill it, when all the RWR alarms went off. I popped countermeasures and tried to drop altitude but either the first or second shot got us and we were autorotating from a hover 50m up, which is pretty challenging, even more so when the sod tries for a third shot (which wasn't necessary, we hit too hard to not go boom). I was just thinking "How the hell does a tank lock onto us, is this Battlefield 4 or something?" when a full-blown attack helo overflew our charred corpses in spectator. I thought this was a bit of overkill, and then saw the second one, and before I could get really irked at being so outgunned, saw the other flight of five attack helos coming in from the south. And the A-10s. And the tanks.

Apparently the NATO RoE were "We've had enough of your shit" :D

All that was left was to watch the deaths of Madrak and Kas to CAS runs from several A-10s (while the rabbits just didn't give a f***); Dr.Quack's apparently annoyed suicide; and the final death of Ralian (who must have realised by then that he'd been promoted from FAC to CO :D ).

See Zeus, that's how you do it :D

Manhunt
Pilot, TH1

I think perhaps the briefing could be better phrased - I didn't twig that there were any AI in the town at all, and I think CO might have underestimated it too because we changed LZs from a sheltered if fun LZ on the overwatching hill to one just on the outskirts of town that proved to be spectacularly hot, and from the map I think someone saw us coming in and was so excited they marked it in global (that or our recon team didn't recognise us :D ). I got my chalk to the ground (I think) but how many got off the helo safely I don't know and we lost contact with all of them and CO about 30 seconds later. We've ... had better landings.

After that, I was reduced to high-speed passes to try to distract people and draw fire, which didn't go quite so well with the technical, but the armour held up more or less okay. Mabbot had us hold off after that; I relocated to watch the western edge of town, and when recon and Juliet 2 called out Kefirz fleeing in a pickup truck, gave chase, but without guns I couldn't do much; Recon thought I should come back and pick them up so they could shoot at him, but the mission ended before I could get to them :(

/sigh.

Next time Kefirz, I'm mutinying and landing on your head :D

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Yeah, this wasnt my best session... I was in command twice and I think I screwed it up for some people. I was doing some really poor commanding, not to mention I had comms issues (no more fullscreen windowed for me). But enough apathy. I want to say that I will have a full aar and post mortem of what I commanded, a bit later than usual.

Enough typing on mobile. And sorry again to the people I wiped out, its not usually like this. Hey, I can only get better from here :P
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

My death in Outpost victor was one of my more glorious, I feel. It was almost completely action movie, but then I went a got exploded, ho hum.

Missing from that video is 230mm rocket that fell around me, killing everyone else in my fireteam and blowing up every truck within 100m, including the one that grumpy was next to, a mere 20-30m away from me. I don't think I've been more surprised in arma
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Alright, here we go. First off, as per the usual for me, I forgot to reset my fucking audio source in my video. This is why I *need* to do video checks in presession.

Wow. Well, here it is anyways, minus my glorious voice, which is kind of necessary for any public video I might have made. :bang:

So much for that "Full AAR."

Infantry Fighting Vehicles [Co-op]
Command

I think I kicked things off really well here with a plan that would get Bravo into the compound swiftly and safely, but things only went downhill from there. I did as much as I could to get all squads focused on the objective, but charlie made it clear they were engaged to the south and this really confused me. I wanted Bravo and Charlie to move together silently until they hit the west camp, then split with charlie covering Bravo's ingress and Alpha dealing with all the shit to the north so that Bravo didn't have to worry about that front.

I ended up really confusing bravo as I didn't know what to do with them. On one hand I needed them to move in quickly with or without Charlie on overwatch, but on the other with no support from Charlie/MMG and with Alpha caught up a kilometer north, they were sure to be slaughtered.

But eventually with some retasking and backwards tactics, we made it into the outpost.... thirty seconds late. The fuel trucks released the IFVs, and we quickly realized we had no way to take them out. For the rest of the mission, I frantically tried to get anyone to scour some AT from ded dudes, and also realized I was unable to alt-tab out of ArmA (darn fullscreen windowed) and consequently unable to change channels. Eventually, An IFV we lost sight of rolled 300 METERS AROUND THE OUTPOST COMMAND WAS IN, THEN ROLLED IN 180 DEGREES FROM US, DROVE UP TO WITHIN 30 METERS, AND STARTED BLOWING UP CO WHILE HE WAS TRYING TO LOOK OVER THE BATTLEFIELD.

:siiigh:

It's a damn shame you can't hear my audio from that, I'd have made a video.

So what would I have done differently?
Keep alpha and bravo together. I could have still had Alpha go for the outpost to the north, but I didn't have to drop them in different locations. That just made things complicated, and i would have had more room to work when charlie got distracted- er, pinned.
Tell me what you think I should have done differently, or what you would have done.

Outpost Victor [Co-op]
FAC

Gah, I was a mess as FAC. maybe If I couldn't work comms I shouldn't have been the... you know... forward air controller. :siiigh:

Oh well, I did it because I didn't feel up to helicoptering and I figured I could be useful somewhere. But I ended up having no idea who was who, and who was trying to get my attention.

Well, we inserted fine no thanks to my incompetence, and started doing gun runs and scouting. We hit the radio tower, then decided to do a scouting run on the west portion of the AO to see how we could make the infantry's lives easier. I clearly flew TH1 and TH4 within the Fly-zone, but they were both manpadded (or possibly staticed) to their respective dooms. Whoops. Should have routed them farther away from the south. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. :siiigh:

Then the vehicles rolled in. NATO IFV's tanks, troop trucks. You name it. I called in our remaining two helicopters, one of which got shot out of the sky by coaxial, but which I don't regret doing because at least it wasn't a pointless waste of helicopters. (But maybe it DID waste all the FPS. :laugh: )

By that point I had lost about all comms. I tried to raise people on CC. (I couldn't jump channels thanks to comms issues.) I had no idea how many were left, or where. I think I linked up with someone on the radio, and spent the rest of the time trying frantically to find a truck in the outpost we could get out in (although even if there was, we would have surely been killed.) What a last stand.

Manhunt [Adv.]
Command

I was pumped. I had a plan. I was riding, with sparks, nothing could go wrong (unless sparks crashed, of course. :roll: ) My plan was to drop us in hot, just on the edge of town that was far enough out to be safe but close enough that we could charge for the meeting place.
Sparks dropped us in. We landed, taking some UGL fire or something. I hit the deck, I died. Everyone was very confused from that point on.

What would I have done differently next time?

Not die. :clint:

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

I should mention, skip to 27:30 for the best part of that video :P