[Sun] 20 Mar 2016 (Grazie Armoure Mio)

How we died (in the future)
Freyja
Host

[Sun] 20 Mar 2016 (Grazie Armoure Mio)

Post by Freyja »

Wonderful to see y'all, old as well as new. The 33 of sure as hell caused a lot of chaos on this here night of fun-tastic entertain-massacres.

Runlist: Image
Thanks for the excellent screenshot Intel. :v:

RIP Lynche, killed by The Terminator in his prime.

If you've got some burdensome cash-monies lying around just wasting space, consider throwing some of them at the server fundraiser! We promise all funds will be directed towards the maintenance and upkeep of the server now that those fraudulent claims have been settled.

And remember that every week, an hour before the main sunday session there is theArma workshops. Hosted by our very own Audiox, there will be advice on how to become a better future combat person. Learn what "IFV" and "broken arrow" means (probably).

Remember to check out our lovely audio-visual information registry over at this here place!

And once again we are adopting Tanoa a week after the bastard is released proper, so please try to somehow find the currency-dollars to join us for jungle-funtimes.

intel64gamer

Re: [Sun] 20 March 2016 (Grazie Armoure Mio)

Post by intel64gamer »

And for those that do not read /r/arma here is my album with screenshots for the session http://imgur.com/a/QVYKh

AJAX
Host

Post by AJAX »

As always FolkARPS session was a grand time. The uncivil engineering mission was just radical having to defuse a bomb with someone guiding you through it with an instruction booklet. Way too much fun.
It's amazing how many things happen throughout the entire session in every Mission but for some reason I just cannot seem to recall anything specific. It just seems like one long playthrough of intenseness.
I did get a chance to CO the last mission I played in for the day. It did turn out just like it always does when I command. I make a real quick simple plan that relies on my squad leaders for just about everything, then somehow I manage to die within the first few minutes of the battle and watch it all unfold in Splendid cam.

P.S. Special thanks to audioX for taking the time out to host workshops before the official session starts. They're almost always very fun and very informative. If you haven't been to the workshops, I highly suggest it. It's not really anything formal, it's just very informative and helpful. :jihad:

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Life finally stopped being a thing again, and now I'll have more time for glorious armas! It's great to be back leading teams into the meatgrinder glory, and making horrible horrible mistakes that can never be forgiven.

Anyways, here's my quick FOLK ARPS OFFICIAL* SESSION CHECKLIST:
In charge of team members actively trying to blow themselves up with our defensive tripmines (some of them succeeded) ✓
Someone gets horribly lost out of the combat zone (we're looking at you tank) ✓
Behold the amazing disappearing fireteam! ✓ :science101:
INSTANTLY teamkilled in citadel (the traitor will not be named, partially because I can't remember who it was) ✓
Standard grenade incident ✓
Made a horrible mistake involving an unstoppable traitor AI in Pancho TE, mortally wounding several BLUFOR in a morbidly hilarious way ✓
Teams getting confused and taking up each others' positions ✓
Losing Overrun ✓
I get killed in Salt Riders ... X! I broke my streak of getting run over this session! Small victories guys. Small victories.

So all in all this session was nothing less than glorious! Oh, I'll have up highlights and a video of the incident tomorrow. Hang tight.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

fer

Post by fer »

Dear Comrades,

I may be far, far away from the Dacha (because the Bodgists have sent me to a sanitarium in Sochi 'for my health'), but I wanted to issue this gentle reminder:
What is the style of play like?
ArmA 3 is like a team sport, in that you get the most out of it when you work together. So in-game you'll be asked to respect the chain of command (for that mission), take it reasonably seriously, and not talk when you're dead. Well, you can talk to the other dead people. Do you see dead people?

Does that mean I have to salute people?
Absolutely not! FA is a milsim free zone. And if you tell us you're Oscar Mike we'll know what you mean, but we may giggle until you stop. The golden rule is: we're only as organised and as serious as we need to be to play the mission, and no more.
That is taken from Getting started with ArmA 3 and Folk ARPS, which you'll probably have read already, but please indulge me for a moment. Although we don't spell things out to the last detail (because you have lives to lead, and want fewer threads to read), I hope everyone understands that being organised and following the chain-of-command doesn't make FA 'MilSim' (or 'MilSperg' if you feel like making it an epithet). However, these facets of FA's play style do require comrades to behave in a certain way during missions.

What it really boils down to is: if you still have a leader, please don't set off on your own adventure, change your tasking or 'liberate' non-issued weapons or vehicles without asking first.

Clearly, there are some exceptions: do grab that AT asset from comrade NetKev's body and use it to destroy the approach MBT, do run out of the wooden shack you are in if you see a missile arcing gracefully towards you (it's okay to leave NetKev behind). But if there's time enough to ask your leader - please ask.

The kinds of behaviours that make Party officials weep - if they have NOT been approved by a CO/SL/FTL - include:
  • Taking your element or vehicle off on your own private side-mission, in or out of the AO, without asking the CO/SL first
  • Drivers who jump out of armoured vics to loot or clear buildings, leaving their gunners alone and effectively immobile
  • Pilfering all sorts of weapons from fallen enemies until you look like Rambo, or Arnie in Commando
  • Squad medics who are not loitering behind their elements, but off on mountain climbing adventures with DMRs
I can go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. I can give you all manner of game-play related reasons why these things are bad to do, but actually there's a more important one: it's rude to the people who stepped-up to command. Not everyone is comfortable leading, and one of the quickest ways of discouraging an aspiring CO or SL is to disregard their orders. This makes Party officials weep.

And when some Party officials weep, they don't cry tears, they cry submarines, or tanks, or even whole formations of tanks. Angry tanks.

Just saying, some Party officials. Netkev.

:colbert:

Post by 40 »

If your first reaction to a person on your team carrying out your orders in a way that you did not intend is to raise your voice and scream "I AM COMMANDER AND AN ADMIN YOU MUST DO AS I SAY" then you have shit leadership skills.

If your first reaction to a person on your team showing initiative after taking into consideration the situation at hand rather than blindly following orders is to scream "I AM A FOUNDER OF THIS GROUP AND IF YOU REFUSE TO SIT STILL THEN YOU WILL BE REMOVED" then your time would be better spent leading a group of AI rather than actual human players.

and if your first reaction to criticism like this is to consider banning the person who disagrees with you, then you are a terrible admin.
Last edited by Bodge on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: for legibility

fer

Post by fer »

Hi sixtyfour, it would be disingenuous to claim my post wasn't prompted by your behaviour across two missions last night, and the discussion it provoked in the hosts' chat. I hadn't intended to make it quite so personal, but since you've chosen to post this way let's talk specifics:

During Citadel you commanded our heaviest asset, the MBT. The CO positioned you in an overwatch position and tasked you with being a BOF element, supporting the infantry assault into the hillside town. Without orders or asking, you took the tank off into the town, depriving the CO of a key asset. You then went on to roam the territory to the east of the AO, where you had no support from the rest of the platoon. Finally, when the CO issued a recall order you ignored it. At that point the session host used his powers to remove you from the mission - it's just a shame there wasn't a good way of doing that without costing the lives of your fellow crew members (who, I understand, voiced their concerns to you during the mission).

In Pancho TE my initial frustration as your vehicle commander wasn't that - as our driver - you had chosen to present our vic's rear to the enemy at a firing position (despite being asked to simply drive around the corner). It was that when challenged you thought this decision was up for debate. In the context of FA's chosen play-style, I'm afraid it isn't. I was trying to communicate that to you, something you found rather offensive. My style could have been different, softer I'm sure, but you'd already raised the hosts' collective hackles in the earlier mission. Context isn't an excuse, but I hope it explains me being snippy.

Towards the end of Pancho TE you chose to dismount and clear buildings, again without warning or asking. That left Jacob, our gunner, sitting in a vehicle that would have stood zero chance of moving away from trouble had the enemy brought AT assets to bear. When challenged on your behaviour, your response was: "I'm making myself useful, what are you doing?". It's just not the way we roll at FA, and I called you on it. There are many ways to play Arma, but our play-style has served us well for over half a decade and if you choose to participate in our sessions, it's a non-negotiable. Incidentally, when we were parked up by building #14 I'd watched you dismount - also unannounced - to loot a dead AI, again leaving Jacob exposed.

For me, the common thread here is your selfishness. You were bored in the overwatch position, so you took the MBT on safari. You were bored being buttoned-up in our IFV, so you got out to loot and clear buildings. This was always about your personal enjoyment, even if it risked that of your fellow guests. Our community was founded in part on the principle that guests' time to game is precious - that makes your approach and attitude unacceptable, not just to me personally, but to the hosts as a team.

PS I am a terrible admin ;)

Post by 40 »

There are three sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth.

It would take more effort to write an essay explaining the false information you have been given in your post than I'm willing to make (and nobody would probably read it), but I will be more than happy to talk with you over Mumble about it to help you sort out the confusion.

fer

Post by fer »

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. If that had been your opening play this morning, it might have been an option. As it is, I suggest we don't waste any more of each other's time on this. There are plenty of other communities where you can play Arma, I hope you find somewhere that's a better fit.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

And now, some calm, relaxing, party mandated elevator music. :cop: