[Thu] 05 March (The Livonia Run)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Thu] 05 March (The Livonia Run)

Post by audiox »

2020 just keeps on giving. In between all the coughing, global pandemics, market crashes, and all the other stuff, a dashing 12 comrades showed up to do the do on the party's latest craze, a tactical THURSDAY.

To turn off the sarcasm for a bit. It really is kinda weird when i've been having Tactical Tuesdays in my life since 2012 to change something so fundamental. But from hosting one i would say it feels better to have a longer cooldown period from the sunday session. Gearing back into smaller scale arma so soon after sundays (usually) higher numbers is sorta "meh" from a hosts perspective, but by thursday its fun to get the groove back on. At least that's how it feels from my point of view.

Anyway, we played the things :
  • Winning The Game (NikkoJT)
  • The Winter Contingency (NikkoJT)
  • Operation Yale (Teifiterror)
  • Pressure Politics (darkChozo)
  • The Crucible (NikkoJT)

I found it especially fitting that the first two to die in the horrorshow that was Winning The Game was mission maker and host.... :siiigh:

Anyway. Hope you all are well and see you starside.

You can review the missions we played tonight to improve your combat effectiveness score, using our R3 Mission Replay System.

You may have noticed that some people have FA flags all over them. You may have thought "wow, what a cool guy! I want to be like them when I grow up!" Well, there's no need to grow up just yet. Instead, click on this link here and you too can have an FA flag of your own.

If you want a real FA flag all over your real body, click here to learn how to get a real FA t-shirt of your very own. Contributes to server operation as well as your Party status!

One last thing! If you would like to contribute to the server fund that allows FA to keep running sessions, you can PayPal your last grubby potato to server-fund@folkarps.com, or click here to use the Party's new and improved organ donation service.

audiox
Host

Re: [Thu] 05 March (The Livonia Run)

Post by audiox »

Anyway. On a more serious note, here's how i think the session went.

"Winning the Game" : The AI seemed a bit too deadly, and too numerous. Also, i'm somewhat weirded out by us not managing to get into the boats assigned to us at start. Bravo seemed to think that the two guys by the lighthouse way far off the objective was a better focus for their fire and time than the actual overwatch of the objective duty they had, and comms seemed rather shit throughout my short life in the mission. Not too fun an experience.
Pickers did survive though, so he's set for life!

"The Winter Contingency" : Died pretty early in this one. I think i was in Alpha 2, and their incapacity to even get "stay behind Alpha 1 up the road" right was pretty infuriating. House clearing on the west side of the objective was not very organized, and marred by "imma run ahead and get in there"-thinking instead of "i have a fire team LEAD, i guess he LEADS unless he tells me he wants me to rush something" Then i died, again. Watching ya'll decide that staying on a roof to take fire from all sides when hunkering down until the extract was charming, in a way, but i won't really pretend i felt bad for the corpses that ended up piling up there. I've also figured out why Nikko likes Zeus-ing, because i watched him murder a lot of you (but to be honest, he was not tryharding it at all, you just didn't really know what was critical points in the building you were trying to stay safe in). Bonus points for the kefirz - nikko fight that took place through several iterations of spetznaz.....

"Operation Yale" - I led this, so of course it went super well. :D Eh, i'd say my planning was not really that good, and my map markering was pretty haphzard. Also, UAV operators should deffo have a UAV interface at mission start.... From my point of view movement was decent, A1 took the lead and A2 managed to move and flank the targets in the forest when we encountered those. The "defensive" position for A1 when we reached the site was maybe decent, but they wanted the firefight instead of the "secure the corner and make sure we don't get jumped" task which i never asked of them and then they almost all died. Yeah, whatevs. Initiative is nice, but ask first.

"Pressure Politics" - Fun mission. I feel bad for A1 who got super smashed early on, and personally i would've just focused on the near buildings instead of trying to make a two person cordon, but hey, then i should've done SL. Towns are tricky to get people in the right place at the right time, but we somehow managed to avoid horrible death. Wouldn't advise people to be trying to get potshots with SMG's at people 300m+ out when they have rifles and stuff. After all, we were AT the objective, so all we had to do was lure them in. We have a tendency to be way too "i need to shoot at people"-focused, and not enough "it actually makes sense to stay here and wait right now"-focused.

"The Crucible" - I really need to stop firing directly at tractors coming towards me.....