fa3_c69_chain_lightning

Help make Party-approved missions harder
darkChozo
Host

fa3_c69_chain_lightning

Post by darkChozo »

AAF, CSAT, or a combination thereof search some mountains for some FIA. They then collect (not destroy!) some intel.

Overall, my impression is that this went pretty well despite a few hitches. I'm definitely interested in feedback though, particularly from the infantry side of things.

Version History:
V2
There are now two burn timers: one common timer from when the players are first spotted, and one shorter per-camp timer that starts when players are spotted close to the camp.
Added a scout heli (basically a severely stripped down attack Hellcat) that starts in the air.
There are only four transport Hellcats now, with instructions to slot one per squad.
The approximate location of one of the camps is marked at the start of the mission.
The camps have a few more men and are a bit more compact so it should be more obvious that they are camps.
Cleared camps are now marked as cleared on the map to reduce confusion.

V1
Initial release
Last edited by darkChozo on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pooter
Host

Re: fa3_c69_chain_lightning

Post by Pooter »

I found the camps to be underpopulated. Also a couple of wrecked cars + 2 working ones does't really make much of a "camp". I think we flew over one that I didn't mark because I couldn't actually see any enemies.

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

Sling load helicopters on CSAT side, 0/10 with rice.

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

This could totally be awesome as a PvPvE with AAF and CSAT racing to see who can recover the most intel WITHOUT killing each other.
"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Mabbott wrote:WITHOUT killing each other.
Yeah, that'll work :roll:
[/allegedly]

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

That... could work, actually. The intention was for this to be a sort of HS/LD thing where the opposition isn't too strong but the challenge is in doing it quick. Having it be a competition would certainly amp up the "do it quick" angle.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

The speed was more due to the area and low intel than due to tardiness. And, so far, every single mission framed as a "friendly competition" between two player factions ended with "accidental friendly fire" happening waaay before any actual enemies get injured.
[/allegedly]

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Hmm. Maybe something along the lines of the squad that gets the most intel gets a gold star at the end? Nothing too crazy but it might push SLs to play things a more riskily. It's easy to accidentally frame a friendly competition as a "friendly competition", but I think if everyone's under the same commander and mostly on the same side it should discourage fratricide a bit.

AmishStrikeForce

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

Pooter wrote:I found the camps to be underpopulated.
This was my impression as well.

The "camp #X is cleared" hints were a nice touch.
I think it has potential, but it seemed a tad long, probably a perception due to being light on enemies. I understand that length should probably have been mitigated by troops "rushing" to get the intel, but given the perma-death nature of ArmA, it's just not how most leaders run things. Your typical FT or SL prefers to get there slower and lose the intel, but keep all the players alive rather than get there faster and get the intel, but half the players are dead (this benevolence is a character flaw that I hear Party genetics experts are working hard to weed out). Maybe if you made getting the intel a victory condition?

Sweeping through the bases was tense and fun.
Also known as Spanks Masterson

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

Communication would be absolutely impossible, if AAF starts shooting CSAT, CSAT has no way to tell them to stop or something. We'll end up with CSAT shooting AAF in revenge and after a bit of pew pew bang bang we get 5 intel to cover and a fireteam on each side to recover them.