Introduce yourself

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
fer

Re:

Post by fer »

Yldri wrote:Hi,

I'm an old-timer from the OFP days (I even mourned the Red Hammer campaign) and I'm looking forward finally playing this in proper coop. I should be available most weekdays.
Roman ... this is Eagle ... how did you locate us? ;)

Yldri

Post by Yldri »

----
Last edited by Yldri on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kefirz

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Kefirz »

Hey Yldri, nice to see you giving us a shot :hist101:
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

darkcaves

Post by darkcaves »

Hi, Darkcaves here.

I've Been playing the Arma series for years now and have finally decided to take the plunge and join a community. I spent a while looking at various groups and decided to register here. You seem like a nice bunch of people and have the sort of attitude towards the game that I've been looking for. I've joined the Steam group. Here's my profile page:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/aseriesofdarkcaves/

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but do I need to do anything specific to join a game? I assume there's some sort of vetting process - maybe someone here can steer me onto the right path.

A little more about myself:

I'm originally from Dublin, Ireland but have been living in Dresden, Germany for a good few years now. I'm a software-engineer by trade and am feeling the sting that comes with being in my late twenties. I also eat far too many crisp-sandwiches.

Thanks,

Darkcaves.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Hey Darkcaves!
Welcome!

No need to worry, we are very laid back when it comes to people joining in and having a go.

In terms of vetting, we only really ask people to look over a couple of things before they show up for their first session:
- An intro to our group and sessions: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1000
- An intro to teamspeak which we use for comms: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=998

Apart from that just try to be in the teamspeak channel and on the server before 7:20pm, and listen out for instructions from the host. Usually its best to hop into some of the less hectic roles (rifleman or autorifleman) for your first few missions, but leaders are always appreciated so feel free to grab a slot once you get a feel for our types of missions and playstyle.

We also have some optional mods enabled on the server: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1382
These are completely optional, but quite a few people like to use some of the more helpful ones like sthud and push-to-hear.
If you would like to make mod managing a bit easier, we have a program called swifty that we recommend, it will download all of our mods and keep up to date with our server.
More here: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic ... 663#p11663

Good to see more Irish people too! Im from Dublin myself, currently living in cork studying.

Eagle_Eye

darkcaves

Post by darkcaves »

Thanks Eagle!

I'm all set up and have read through the guidelines. Swifty is a great little tool. Am I right in assuming there's a game going on tomorrow then around 7:20pm (UTC time)?

I'll pop TS and see what the story is.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Yes indeed. Tuesdays are usually a little less crowded, so they can be a good place to familiarise yourself and get some experience with how we do things. If you head on to the ts or arma server anytime between 7 and 20 past you should see some people hanging out and chilling on the rifle range presession.

AJAX
Host

Post by AJAX »

Wow! I've been on here for years and never posted an intro... Well, I'm AJAX, the son of Telamon, who was the son of Aeacus and grandson of Zeus, and his first wife Periboea. I'm the cousin of Achilles, and the elder half-brother of Teucer. Also a big Arma fanboy. If you wanna "know me :coolbert: " then join my squad on game day and we'll get real cozy like and I'll tell you stories. We will roast marshmallows and eat S'mores. If I die, then you are welcome to take my grenade launcher. If you get lost or scared during combat I will issue hugs as a standing order. Cheers!!!

GurtTractor

Post by GurtTractor »

Hello everyone, I found this place via the RPS forums and I was wondering if I could join in the fun? I got Arma 3 the other day and have been enjoying it a lot, I used to play the original Operation Flashpoint a fair bit back in the day, and a bit of Arma 2. I'd really like to join in and play some sweet organised missons and stuff, I've not experienced a whole lot of what he game has to offer yet. I have a microphone so I'm good for voice chat.

Thanks.

Mattsetback

Post by Mattsetback »

Hey all. Took the plunge after watching a great team vs team match on youtube, thinking 'hell yes I want a piece of this', trying a bunch of public servers and just getting TK'ed for hours. I'm from Bristol, UK, and should be free probs 50% of sundays for some tactical shootiness.