Multi-audio recording in FRAPS

All Party-approved topics welcome
Ferrard Carson

Multi-audio recording in FRAPS

Post by Ferrard Carson »

I noticed that several video recorders have trouble with not being able to record all of their own talking. Presumably, you guys set your TS3 / Mumble PTT button as the "push to record" button for FRAPS, and since FRAPS doesn't support multiple PTT buttons like Dxtory does, you end up only recording the stuff you send to TS3, and not over VON / Channel-Commander. I found a way to fix that:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

1) Download that program
2) Install that program
3) Create a new text file via notepad
4) Paste the following text into this text file:
~CC::Send {Pause DOWN}
~CC UP:: Send {Pause UP}
~VON::Send {Pause DOWN}
~VON UP:: Send {Pause UP}
~TS3::Send {Pause DOWN}
~TS3 UP:: Send {Pause UP}
5) Replace each acronym with your equivalent Push-to-Talk key:
CC = Channel Commander
VON = In-game Voice-Over-Network
TS3 = TeamSpeak 3
6) Set your FRAPS microphone-record key as Pause
7) Whenever you're preparing to FRAPS with this set-up, just right-click on this text file and click "Open With > AutoHotkey"
8) When you're done FRAPS'ing, right-click the green H in your system tray and click "Exit"

Voila! Now you can hear your own dulcet tones in your recording no matter which chat you're using!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

fer

Re: Multi-audio recording in FRAPS

Post by fer »

Outstanding, comrade. I have added this information to our Folk on YouTube thread. Thank you for posting.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Is there a list of keys/mouse buttons somewhere? Can't seem to find it.

Edit: Nevermind.

For example, here's my script:

Code: Select all

~XButton1::Send {Pause DOWN}
~XButton1 UP:: Send {Pause UP}
~XButton2::Send {Pause DOWN}
~XButton2 UP:: Send {Pause UP}
~CapsLock::Send {Pause DOWN}
~CapsLock UP:: Send {Pause UP}

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

You sir are a god among men.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Is there a way to recognize if a key is pressed a second time? I'm using a button to toggle ingame VON, not activate it on press and deactivate it on release.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

I'm not certain it works this way, but there may be a way that you can code an "IF/ELSE" statement such that the PTT key's function is conditional.

e.g.

chatkey = 0
If chatkey = 0
{
~h::Send {Pause DOWN}
chatkey = 1
}
Else
{
~h::Send {Pause UP}
chatkey = 0
}

This script should create a variable "chatkey" and set its initial value as 0. Then, if it's 0, pressing "H" (my CC PTT) causes the program to press Pause, and then sets variable "chatkey"'s value as not-0. This then causes the "Else" trigger to take over, meaning that pressing "H" again causes the program to release Pause, then sets "chatkey" back to 0.

I'll test this once I get home from work and have access to my gaming computer. It's all just theoretical right now.

~ Ferrard
Last edited by Ferrard Carson on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I've noticed there's quite a delay between pressing my VOIP key and mumble registering it being pressed when I activate Autohotkey. Any idea how to reduce this?

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

As it turns out, that last script completely borks itself. Testing is continuing.

Testing is complete, and I arrive bearing a gift!

Gift is dysfunctional, testing continues.

~TS3::Send {Pause DOWN}
Keywait, TS3
Send {Pause UP}
return
~VON::Send {Pause DOWN}
Keywait, VON
Send {Pause UP}
return
~CC::Send {Pause DOWN}
Keywait, CC
Send {Pause UP}
return

Obviously, replace "TS3" "VON" and "CC" with your own hotkeys, but this should permit you to toggle recording as opposed to having to hold the button all the time.

And I have no idea why running the script should cause your Mumble to be slower, Wolf. It's occasionally caused lower quality audio capture, but I haven't seen it slow other programs down.

~ Ferrard

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Can't seem to get it to work as a toggle, Wolf. :bang: I'm sorry :( I'll come back to this at a later date and try again.

~ Ferrard

mike

Post by mike »

Last week I had an idea to make a program in c++ or c# that would by default set microphone volume to 0%, and then when you press 1 of your defined hotkeys it would put it back to 100% (or whatever you started with). This way you totally circumvent the fraps detection thingy. This solution of yours is nice too Ferrard. Am I right to assume this won't "overload" the keyboard in Windows (I usually get a beeping Windows 7 when I press 3 or more keys for some reason).