[Sun] 14 Jul 2013 (From death do us flank)

How we died
Cam

[Sun] 14 Jul 2013 (From death do us flank)

Post by Cam »

Missions:
  • Grozovy Pass
  • Elsafi Defence
  • Grishinokessel
  • Fulcrum
A peak of 45 players during this session. Sadly, we didn't manage to win any of our coops with this run, likely due to my accidental sadism when picking the mission list. Regardless, cheers to everyone for coming along tonight, please feel free to add an AAR below. It's greatly appreciated by both myself and the other hosts, and any of the leadership during the missions you played.

Dannysaysnoo

Re: [Sun] 14 Jul 2013 (From death do us flank)

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Grozovy Pass - C2 AR

Me and my Charlie squad moved westward slowly, before coming under a few potshots. This escalated when a BDRM appeared out of nowhere. By the time we tried to fight it, the mission was over, as the tank died. Shame there was nothing I could have done about it.

Elsafi Defence - BSL

I stepped up to Bravo lead, as I figure, with adversarials, you either do well, or terribly. I took my squad, and we moved east, using the side of the mountain to hide. After moving a bit more south, a few plinking shots and RPGs, we kept going south, before moving in on the enemy. After a few close quarter kills, I was wounded. While wounded, spotting enemies to my north, I pointed my GP toward the enemy, and made 3 kills with a single grenade. Rather chuffed with that.

After securing the south of the town, we moved in on the town! Alpha and the HMG were rather chopped up, down to just Dogface and someone who slips my memory. We moved in through the town, until a team suddenly appeared in front of me. After a grenade, and a few pot shots, I pilfered an RPK, and wandered in, blasting someone in what turned out to be mortal combat. I would have died, had the mission not ended.

8 kills. Chuffed.

Grishinokessel - B2 AR

After we moved southward, I took a rather early shot. I left soon after. :<

Fulcrum, I missed.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Grozovy Pass - Engi Team with tryteyker

Being optimistic I asked tryteyker if we should take the ammo truck to rearm the tank when needed and it'd allow the infantry to rearm as well. Not knowing Russian but knowing the symbols plastered all over the truck ment 'this truck be dangerous bro' we gingerly got in and crept forward. The tank charged forwards and engaged targets on the north side, we dismounted and I took cover under the truck - best place to hide from the bullets is under the 10 ton driving bomb right? With friendly lines pushing forward a little we moved closer to the action and took a few stray rounds, the tank then took an AT hit in its backside and I ran to fix them up. I got to the tank and started the repair action, the tank drove around a little bit (thankfully not running me over) I completed the action when two or three more rockets hit the tank, I got blown away when she went up. Did the best I could to repair the old girl but sometimes you can't keep up with the incoming AT fire!

Elsafi Defence - Indi Defence For Alpha Medic, Dogface SL

I followed Dogface into the building he'd picked at random to be his OP, we found an interesting architectural feature inside the building, namely a full grown tree growing on the bottom floor and blocking access to the second floor. Deciding the tree would provide structural support we stayed and got down to spotting the enemy. Lots of guys were skylining on the opposite hill, I could see them with my weak vision and Dogface could see every single one of them with his super expensive rangefinders laser powered eyeballs. A1 was still moving into buildings and getting set up, they lost Tigershark to an angry car wreck. tryteyker announced they had a man down so I went to fix him up but he was very very very dead. Spying an RPK on his body I elected to upgrade myself to LMGmedicine Man. I returned to ASL building and the village started coming under fire, we were able to spot HMG destroying stuff and lighting up the sky with cool tracers, A1 took a light casualty and I was called upon to go fix him up. I moved from building to building taking fire as I went, the A1 marker was nowhere near where it claimed A1 would be so I ended up following the sound of tryteykers voice. I patched up the wounded guy and departed back for the central OP taking some more fire along the way. Once back with Dogface I was dispatched to join A1 on a north flanking maneuver, the decision to send me wasn't instant (thankfully) by the time I departed all of A1 were dead in the open. A2 took a casualty and I headed back through the town to patch them up. Trying to get into the A2 building I got bitten by the doorway and went down, eventually I was picked up by one of A2 and set about healing the wounded. With the village being infiltrated from the north I moved away from ASL building and was looking for a decent building to hold up in myself. I got caught out in the open and was fired on by friendly forces (statistics hindsight) to the north, I returned fire and killed one of them, my apologies but you did fire first and communications were going to hell with us getting surrounded. I took shelter inside a building and was able to open up on enemy moving north between buildings. With them pushing in Dogface ordered a concentration on his new position, going to exit the building I was in I found an enemy coming in the door, I mowed him down and started towards Dogface getting about half way before fire erupted from inside the building I was passing by, I threw a grenade at the back side of the building and killed two maybe three, Iceraiser included :D going in the side door I killed another and Dogface joined me. Now in full bunker mode and with orders to shoot anything outside I took down another guy moving about south, I've no idea if he was friendly or not but it was every man for himself!

Best mission of the night, some tags would have been FF reducing but meh don't look threatening and I won't shoot you full of bullets :)

Grishinokessel - Alpha 1 AAR, Nitram FTL, tryteyker AR, Cam AT

We lost tryteyker in the first contact, I couldn't find his body to claim his AR, I paused said a few words over the body of either a crewman or an engineer before rejoining A1. We moved and orientated and moved taking wounding hits, I picked up Cam, and Cam picked up Nitram. We eventually cleared the trees we were in with the help of the rest of Alpha. Later on I spied the corpse holding the lovely Mk48, I was quick to upgrade to the dismay of someone else. Armed with something fun to shoot A1 moved off passing through Bravo lines, all three remaining in A1 went down to the withering fire, Nitram and myself were able to crawl back towards Bravo. I paused at the lifeless corpse of Cam to check he was dead before moving slowly towards the smoke Bravo had thrown. It was a lovely Dogface that patched me up and sent me on my merry way to join Fer in Alpha Blob unit with Iceraiser and Nitram. Shockingly Ice was lacking his trademark tash, and paid the price for shaving by taking a bullet and the heal action breaking. Despite some medieval pistol shots to the legs we were totally unable to fix up Ice so I put him out of his agonising death with a single shot of 7.62mm to the head. A Blob moved to the road and and picked up more Alpha stragglers, I was able to get a good firing position and took down two EI across the sloping forest before getting hit. The curse of the Iceraiser struck again and I was beyond medical help, my life was ended by Nitram who valiantly took my MG and sang the songs in my memory!

Fulcrum - Indie Attack For Bravo Medic, Nitram BSL, Dogface CO

I drove Nitram in our unarmed BTR 40 and joined in the attack, Dogface went down inside the big industrial building and I went to patch him up. Mid healing Nitram took a deadly GP round to his face so grouped with Dogface for the attack going on. I was healing up another dude when Dogface went down, in the open in clear view of the enemy, I ran to help and threw smoke to cover. Judging he didn't have long to live I opted to heal him in place, rounds were zipping by as Dogface complimented me on my gutsy healing tactic, this angered the bullet gods as I took one in the back. Dogface bled out as I had kind of predicted, I was patched up by A2 I think and sprinted towards the rest of friendly forces just in time for the objective to go boooom.

Afterparty

Beware the pipework for that is the domain of officer moon moon! You poor PCP junkies were really confused where I was killing you from, sadly I was plinked off the ladder by a fellow high altitude operator. Still getting three kills in 3 seconds isn't bad :)
ramming speed!

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Grozovy Pass: B2 AT. "Where are we being engaged from? Why are you guys all dead?"

Elsafi Defence: Indfor HMG. My first time as HMG. :dance: Cam and I scouted out BOF 1, just on the NW tip of town, but it wasn't ideal so we repositioned to BOF 2 much further West, with Command joining us. I spotted a few EI running around a clump of rocks on the mountain SSW of us, and Cam directed me to a whole prone fireteam a bit to the left, all facing towards town. As soon as you open fire at night with one of those things, everything gets very dark. We instantly took a tonne of small arms fire at ~500m, pattering and snapping around us, but we weren't ready to give a damn; not until the DShKM was dry. I died retreating back to the village.

Grishinokessel: A2 FTL. This was probably the most frustrating time I've been FTL. Boberro, whitesymphonia, Bones; if you haven't got the ST_HUD mod, I'd strongly recommend installing it. (If you're having trouble installing it then anyone here can help.) For most of the mission I was asking if you were all still alive, searching the map for the tiny yellow arrows, or trying to work out how to tell the SL that we've lost cohesion. :P

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Grozovy Pass
Deployed as Bravo Squad Leader
Alright, mission's started, let's go-- or not, leadership is still sorting out TS issues? But Charlie's getting shot at! Patience Bravo, you'll get your chance soon enough...

Providing as steady and calm a leadership presence as I could, I shepherded Bravos 1 and 2 as we walked slowly through the woods on the southern ridge. The slow pace was very obviously grating on the nerves of some of Bravo, but we were able to work our way through half the forest in slow, steady bounds, obliterating what little enemy resistance we encountered.

And then I forgot to tell Bravo 2 to keep watching their left. Troops crested and AKS fire rained down on us from our above on our flank. I actually shot right across the face of Bravo 2's AR in order to hit a NAPA rocketeer 10 feet to his left and raising a rifle, thus netting my only kill this mission. Bravo 2, save one lone anti-tank rifleman, was slaughtered, with Bravo 1 taking some stray rounds in the process. I was steeling Bravo 1 to hold while I searched for Bravo 2's last guy as he writhed on the ground, wounded. My intent from that point was to pull up Bravo 2's survivor, fold him into Bravo 1, and disengage my entire squad westward to better cover. Unfortunately, our T-90 jack-in-the-boxed and the turret came crashing back down square on top of the hopes of every Russian soldier in the region.

<<Placeholder for Video>>

Mission Notes: Beautiful! Love it! We probably need higher numbers to actually take this one on, but fantastico!

Elsafi Defence
Deployed as AttackFor (OpFor) Bravo 2 AAR
Elsafi. Must've been named for the crazy lunatic who thought that building houses on a 30-degree slope was a good idea. In a way, I'm glad that we got ambushed by SuperU's clever reserve force - saves me the embarrassment of inevitably having my ankles eaten by a Takistani porch. Side note: Bandzai, that was a brilliant GP-25 round.

Mission Notes: Like much of Takistan, the terrain in this section of the map is almost exclusively geared towards MMGs / HMGs unless you can maneuver a squad in close via a valley like IndFor Bravo managed. The village, however, should have a nominal "keep control of this" trigger of some sort to make sure the mission has a center of conflict, or else it can get a little silly as we Benny Hill around one anothers' flanks.

Grishinokessel
Deployed as Alpha 3 FTL
Fighting woodland-camo'd AI in Chernorussian forests again. Egads. We set off on foot, and no sooner had we entered contested territory, then we slammed ourselves hard up against a company of mechanized US Marines, LAVs and Amtraks included. Absolute murder. Fer maintained a steady guiding hand for Alpha as a whole, but I was downed two times in short succession, and nearly ran into LAV fire a third time before Bravo ate the shells for me (thanks!). Alpha 3 shifted around on the squad's right flank, covering areas of opportunity and getting caught behind friendly lines more times than I'd like to admit.

One thing that stood out: Our assets were incredibly closely bunched throughout the entire mission. We deployed in a line, but ended up blobbing everywhere. At one point, I settled Alpha 3 behind a wall and prepared to guard against an enemy attack from the ridgeline directly in front of us... only to find Alpha 2 and MMG crowded into the same ten meters of wall I'd originally laid out for my fireteam's use. The effect of this bunching was that we were constantly either behind friendlies, or shooting across the front of friendly forces, and overall the world was a mess of confusion. And then I bit the dust to an M4 being shot at me through trees from 200 meters. Fer came on the channel, "Alpha 3, are you okay? Alpha 3? Oh no..."

Mission Notes: well, not much to be done - we're facing AI in a heavily forested section of Chernarus, and we're basically under fire the moment we step off from our spawn-point, and the AO is huge. Just need to throw more bodies at it across a wider frontage, that way it's harder to be flanked like our blob constantly was.

Fulcrum
Deployed as DefendFor (IndFor) Alpha Squad Leader
Ah, the proper number's advantage this time! Our kit, such as it were, bounced on our harnesses as we made a mad dash to reach fortifications before the enemy, and we were able to, amidst a veritable rain of dying choppers. Aziz's glorious air-defense network is working! Unfortunately, the air mobile troops who should have been slaughtered in all that wreckage had already dismounted and even then were approaching Bravo's defense of the Shapur-2 oil storage complex. Fortunately, the Russians decided to perch their support element and their HMG vehicles atop a ridgeline clearly visible to us at 500 meters as we crouched in our fortified town. I ordered all my carbine and bolt-action riflemen to engage and pepper the Russkies with bullets, and boy howdy did we. I could personally see two Russians go down hard at the base of fire position, and Bravo must have done their fair share of damage in close-quarters, as the Russians abandoned their plan and decided to punch right through our lines instead, banking on speed and the generous protection of their BTR-40's to simply rush the final objective.

When I realized this, I got Alpha hoofing it back to the stockpile in record time before Bodge even ordered a general retreat consolidation of force, but it was too late. My bullets slayed two Russians at the door to the stockpile, but I was wounded by a third at the top of the stairs and slammed into the ground, writhing in agony. I rolled over to try and put the last of my magazine into the dastardly Russkie only to see him holding up a pair of exposed wires. "No!" I shouted as he crossed them with a look of triumph on his face.

The explosion was visible for miles.

<<Placeholder for Video>>

Mission Notes: So... it was actually quite counter the intent of the mission for the Russians to simply rush the stockpile with their armored vehicles and try to activate the timer before IndFor can return. While lucky and successful this time, steps have been taken that will encourage OpFor to work out how to isolate and reduce IndFor rather than go all Ender's Game on this mission.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Grozovy Pass
T90 driver

Seeing that my GPU issues are not solved yet, I decided being a driver was a good choice: not much spotting involved, only listening to Dogface's sweet voice and pressing keys accordingly. At some point I realized I had forgotten to turn TrackIR on, but it was not really useful as a tank driver anyway.
Dogface was trying to have us move forward, Command was trying to have us wait, people were dying all around and Bodge was shooting stuff that I couldn't see. All was good. At some point someone called a BMP inbound. Dogface had us hide on a reverse slope to exploderize the damn thing before it knew what hit it.
Surpise! It was a BTR60! Which kinda messed up Bodge's brains for a second. What messed up mine, on the other hand, is that it survived a SABOT round point blank, and kept rushing as I was deperately backing up to keep it in front of us.
The crew finally died while bailing out. That's when we took our first hit. Light damage to the engine. Let's back up. Let's say I'm not sure the place we went for repairs was the best: not concealed, nor covered. We took another hit. Serious damage. Left track is gone. The engineers are moving around, but I see rockets coming. Well, dodging these things with one track while trying not to run over the engies is about as easy as crossing the Grand Canyon on a tightrope while drinking gin. We died.

Elsafi Defence
OPFOR CO

The plan was pretty standard: Wolf's Alpha squad and MMG to provide suppression and distraction on the target, while Fer's Bravo would try and sneak into the town on the left flank.
I had alpha scout the area first, and they reported EI in the town. I moved onto the ridge myself, I could see the dudes, I could see that they could see us. All in all, it was all going according to the plan, we were focusing their attention. Probelm was, the route I had maked for Bravo turned out to not present as much concealment as I expected.
Fer made a judgement call and decided to sneak forward as far as he could, alas, as Alpha was still taking position on the BOF, Bravo came under fire. I immediately ordered Alpha to open fire on everything. Wolf expressed concerns regarding the effectiveness of our fire at that range, but it wasn't really the point in my mind. I just wanted to shift their attention back to us.
In hindsight, it was probably too late, and I should have regrouped and changed the plan at this point. Bravo reported an HMG. I had our own MMG fire on that while Bravo would flank it and take the hill, while Alpha was taking more and more accurate fire. Alpha squad lead went down, I had a brainfart and there was a little confusion about my alleged death for a few seconds. I had forgotten to restart Arma, and TrackIR wasn't on yet. I was frantically turning my head around to no avail, which was frustrating as hell.
Bravo finally took that hill (well, the HMG crew actually ran away when they ran out of ammunition), but comrade SuperÜ has become a master in the art of leading troops in adversarials, and he had a squad flanking Alpha and killing us all. There was quite an awkward moment when I was face to face with an enemy, and we stared at each other for a second before opening fire. I died, he didn't.

Grishinokessel
A3 AR
Well, Comrade Carson's AAR pretty much sums up what I saw during this mission. Lots of bunching up at all three levels: Fireteam, Squad and Platoon. This lead to very confusing cases, where I knew in which direction I was supposed to fire back, but couldn't due to the amount of friendlies wandering around. I was also very afraid of moving around because I couldn't avoid crossing friendly lines of fire.
Maybe it would be time to address those issues in a new workshop again?
First thing, when you're moving around friendlies, you should never move in front of them. Like, never. This reduces your chances to get shot by a friendly, and reduces the pressure on friendlies.
When moving or going firm in your fireteam, in most cases, spread out! More than often a single fireteam can be seen halted in a single handgrenade blast radius. Keep this in mind while moving as well! Running in a column behind your FTL just makes your FT a perfect enfilade target for any MG on the other side. About ten meters between each team member, in a nice wedge, keeps you close enough to support each other, while preventing enemy concentration of fire on the whole team, plus it allows you to cover more ground and observe a larger area (on that topic, also try and keep your position. The FTL is in front, the rifleman on his side, the AR on his other side, and the AAR on the extreme flank, after the AR).
Finally, as an FTL, try and keep aware of where the other fireteams in your squad are. This should be one of your primary tasks in order to efficiently maneuver your team around. If a fireteam is set up at that wall, determine from which location you are able to cover their flanks/support them without getting in their way or risking a one-second squad annihilation. An overcrowded good spot instantly becomes a death hell.

I laughed like a maniac when Ferrard, seconds before his death, went to fix up our AAR and announced on the squad net that we were full strength as I just had eaten a round straight to the face. Thenn proceeded to die as well, at the SL's dismay.
I love them missions on Chernarus.

Fulcrum
OPFOR ASL

No idea what happened here. Could anybody in Alpha hear me on teamspeak? I did not have a single contact with my squad and finally decided to move up, alone, to support B1's sneaky SuperÜesque move. And died promptly.

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

All I gotta say is sorry for being a dipshit at FTLing in Elsafi Defence. I managed to get Tigershark killed (I consider it my fault because I told 'em to go in there) and I also managed to get The Red Sniper killed in a rush uphill whilst facing fire from our South (so we were like.. literally on a silver plate when we ran up that hill). I think that moment where we were forced to run uphill would've been a good moment to use sane judgement and deny orders from Squad Lead simply because it was obvious we were going to get killed. We were already under heavy fire (lucky we didn't take an RPG hit) and decided to give it a go. I got down first and then Sniper got killed. Oh well. Lesson to be learned from that; make your own mind about SLs orders and deny them if they're insane. Just practically speaking it is never a good idea to expose yourself to the enemy by going uphill like a turtle. Ofcourse if others are to charge downhill like mad (read: into death) then that's fine. But not the other way around. Not putting up a full AAR for this session as all missions were very short for me, but I felt Elsafi Defence was something to mention.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

tryteyker wrote:All I gotta say is sorry for being a dipshit at FTLing in Elsafi Defence. I managed to get Tigershark killed (I consider it my fault because I told 'em to go in there) and I also managed to get The Red Sniper killed in a rush uphill whilst facing fire from our South (so we were like.. literally on a silver plate when we ran up that hill). I think that moment where we were forced to run uphill would've been a good moment to use sane judgement and deny orders from Squad Lead simply because it was obvious we were going to get killed. We were already under heavy fire (lucky we didn't take an RPG hit) and decided to give it a go. I got down first and then Sniper got killed. Oh well. Lesson to be learned from that; make your own mind about SLs orders and deny them if they're insane. Just practically speaking it is never a good idea to expose yourself to the enemy by going uphill like a turtle. Ofcourse if others are to charge downhill like mad (read: into death) then that's fine. But not the other way around. Not putting up a full AAR for this session as all missions were very short for me, but I felt Elsafi Defence was something to mention.
When I detached myself from ASL to come join you I couldn't understand why you'd moved off and out of the town towards HMG directly as the crow flies. I'd have pulled out of the town away from the contacts and hoofed it on the reverse side of the hill, less bullets to murder you should outweigh the increased time to get to them..
ramming speed!

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Exactly dancemoox. But I wasn't really thinking about the time / chance of death ratio at that moment but rather focused on "let's get there ASAP". Considering ASL later just told us to reverse (when we were already dead) I'd say I should've just given it a bit more thought (as in, how big is the chance we're going to die on the way there + is it worth it) instead of "well let's just rush up this hill and rush towards HMG in the most obvious way possible", and then probably should've come to the conclusion that that was just a pretty bad order and shouldn't be done either way.

daf

Post by daf »

Just posting that in Grishinokessel the engies were locked into their truck not being able to dismount.