[Sun] 01 Sep 2013 (Hamburger Hill)

How we died
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 01 Sep 2013 (Hamburger Hill)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

[ADMINISTRIVIA] When we are told not to take vehicles, do not take a vehicle. When you choose a boring role, do not go rambo because you are bored. When someone tells you not to take a weapon, do not take the weapon. These have been announcements from your friendly neighborhood hosts. Obey them as you would Obey an Edict from Great Leader Stalin himself. Disobey at your own risk, for you are being watched. You are always being watched. [/ADMINISTRIVIA]
Now that that's out of the way...

:laugh: This session might as well have been titled, "Carson is Evil" :laugh:

Arrival
Deployed as Bravo Best Squad Leader
Once again we've been deployed on Loy Manara Airfield. Once again, our brave C-130 pilots got blown out of existence by anti-reality rifles (their gunners, again, were erased from reality by the recoil - you'd think they'd fix that design flaw at some point...)

Either way, Bravo was tasked with taking the entirety of Jaza. We did. One fireteam even followed me on some fool errand to go make MMG and MAT feel better because they decided to tunnel-vision into the field below them and utterly ignore the squad of enemy infantry not 200 meters behind them.

We cleared Jaza with nary a casualty and checked in with Platoon HQ, only to find that Alpha hadn't even moved away from the airfield! What slackers! Time to do Alpha's job for them! This, of course, was a task we approached with some trepidation, as some of Alpha were of the trigger-happy variety and had already friendly-fired the Platoon Medic. Apparently he didn't give out enough morphine for anyone's liking. :colbert:

We finished Alpha's objectives for them, and then... VICTORY FIRE! :commissar:

Compound It
Deployed as DefendFor (OpFor) Squad Leader
And you call me crazy for taking the Mortar over the HMG...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There was a significant bit of logistical trouble on OpFor once we entered the realm of the game. We had four cache locations marked on the map, quite imaginatively labeled Cache 1, Cache 2, and Cache 3 by yours truly. Why no Cache 4? Because since we were prohibited from using vehicles, there was no way in hell we could reach Cache 4 before BluFor. Cache 3, meanwhile, was in the ass-end of nowhere with no safe egress from what sparse cover there was in the area, so my intent was to set up an IED and observe, then detonate said IED if BluFor investigated.

Except Cache 1 didn't exist. :confused:

So that meant that since BluFor only had to destroy two caches to be pronounced victorious, one of our caches was completely out of our reach, a second didn't exist, and a third was completely undefended because I hadn't planned to do more than a token attrition action there. :argh:

As it turns out, though, BluFor played right into our comedy of errors, and through pin-point Artillery spotting by yours-truly, we were able to scwhack most of BluFor's Alpha Squad between Moon Moon's mortar shells and my bullets! Witness below!

Expanded Mandate
Deployed as Bravo 1 FTL
First let me say...

Ah... much better. Now that that's out of my system...

An infantry charge across gently rolling terrain with little-to-no cover and the typical battery of Folk ARPS support (by which I mean, "minimal"). At night. As the Smurfs. Aww yeah! In essence, the mission proceeded about as I had hoped!

Bravo 1 led Bravo's brave charge directly at the hill (do not pass Go!, do not collect $200), stopping for a brief respite to realize that we hadn't cleared a battlements 50 meters away square on our flank. One emergency pivot and assault later, and all of Bravo 1 was down and writhing on the ground, but the entire six-man battlements garrison was dead, and followon forces (a.k.a. the rest of Bravo) poured in and established a withering base of fire from which we volleyfired maybe half the defenders to death. While this was occurring, Alpha and the support elements established their own base of fire on a commanding elevated road, permitting Bravo to continue the frontal assault. Which we did. We swarmed onto the hill even as The Reaper flew overhead and the four eight horsemen of the Apocalypse swept forward like immense land-battleships.

What, you expected an easy mission?

<<Placeholder for Video>>

UNwelcome Guests
Deployed as AmbushFor (OpFor) Medic FN-FAL man
It's dangerous to roam the streets alone. Take your buddy with you! Make sure your buddy watches the opposite direction from you as you try to gun down an innocent civilian. Otherwise you might get shot in the back by a Ferrard. And then your buddy might get shot too when he comes to help.

"Do No Harm"? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

tryteyker wrote:Did I actually scare anybody with flying low and dropping flares over their heads? That was the whole point :( Especially you mortar guys on OPFOR.
No..but you did annoy the crap out of Blufor. To the extent where a request was made across the radio if the rules of engagement prohibited us from shooting an RPG at you.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Tryteyker, there's a small comment about the flares in the video I just posted - keep in mind that not everyone uses JSRS which makes flares sound like gunshots. ACE_SM gives them a very pitiful, but distinctive sound. The most I was worried about with you was you spotting us on the ground, especially when I was doing some mad Jesse Owens impersonation trying to courier an IED to Alpha 1, then returning to observation of the undefended Cache 3.

Basically, however, when you flared directly over the cache, it twigged me to BluFor already being on the cache. I wasn't certain, but I was sure suspecting it at that point, hence the meaningful glance I give it after your overflight. Most of the time that someone pops that many flares, they've either realized that they've ended up in horribly dangerous territory, or they're doing something flashy to make the ground-pounders directly under them jealous (especially on dangerous, low, "show-off" passes like that).

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

HydrA-

Post by HydrA- »

Ferrard, mixed emotions watching the video from your perspective. Painful, but just in awe from how effective that was :D