The Revolution and You(tube)

All Party-approved topics welcome
SuperU

Re: The Revolution and You(tube)

Post by SuperU »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302 ... 0fonts.zip

A nice title preset I made in photoshop, zip includes the typeface and psd.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302 ... lecard.jpg

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Ooh, thanks Super! I shall be sure to use it. :)

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Dogface wrote:pr3sario's connection issues
New internet and hub arriving tomorrow as it happens. Should make uploading 4x faster and stop my router closing connections mid upload.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

Sorry I haven't posted any footage yet; I haven't had anything worthwhile beyond a few snippets come out of the past few sessions I've attended, and with my current workflow I don't think I can just toss up my footage en masse.

I use a desktop mic + headphones because I'm a bit of a headphone snob, and while the shockmount keeps vibrations in check, it does not mitigate the noise of my keyboard, chair, and other such noisy things. At the moment, I manually go through and slice'n'dice my mic track to keep things clean when I make a video. Optimally, I'd simply set Dxtory to only record audio when I que my mic, but with two separate keys for TS and in-game, I'm stymied. I've found noise-gating to temperamental, although truth be told I haven't fiddled with it too much.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
It's not gay if you have combat boots on.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Does anyone have any ideas about a bit of software that might trick Dxtory into only recording when either Caps Lock or the PTT button are pushed?

For example I was thinking you could set Dxtory to record when "Page Up" was pushed. Then run something that translated your TS PTT button and your Caps Lock to Page Up so far as Dxtory is concerned?

EDIT: Found something... http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.p ... ompatible)

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

VIOLA! Still experimenting, but I threw together a quick, simple 2-perspective video of Finale from Sunday. I'm quite fond of the ORBAT screen, though it'd be nice if there's some way to get the full thing automatically somehow rather than having to read it from the video... also got to put it together into a proper PSD template than can be reused. I also could have put in more captions to highlight what was going on, especially in the PiP screen. But, for this mission it's at least fairly self-explanatory. Also, should the '[name]-cam' labels stay, or fade out after a bit? Any other thoughts?

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Dogface wrote:Any other thoughts?
Well I really rather enjoyed that. Good to see that the footage wrangling is starting to pay off. I like the [player]-cam bit - I think when there are more than 3 player cams in action it will be helpful for the viewer keeping track of where they are. I liked music in the background too.

"ORBAT" screen was pretty nice as were the other supporting screens. Particularly the "Plan Screen".

Good job.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Dogface wrote: I'm quite fond of the ORBAT screen, though it'd be nice if there's some way to get the full thing automatically somehow rather than having to read it from the video...
Mike's ORBAT addon does just that: you can dump the ORBAT in the .rpt to access it later. If necessary, changing that to dumping into the clipboard should be easy enough.

Regarding the video itself, cool stuff! Really like how you showed the plan and all, even though obviously it would make more sense in a mission actually involving movement rather than just holding ground before dying.
Another thing is, the same choices that you make when deciding what parts of the mission to show, and what you won't show, should be made on a viewpoint basis. I mean, like the whole part when you're wounded and really, nothing is happening that the viewer can see or understand, is probably better off not being shown.
Multiple PoV can be treated differently at different times, switching back and forth between cameras to outline "good" moments and using the PiP cameras mostly to ease the spectator into the transition. Obviously some scenes can be treated with two or more simultaneous PoV if they are related to each other (e.g two sides of a same firefight, or a BOF PoV coupled to an assault POV), but you can also stretch the timeline and have two simultaneous events appearing one after another on the screen if both POV are considered of the same importance (e.g a "Meanwhile, in a galaxy far far away..." screen).

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there, good job!
Last edited by Black Mamba on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AkKind

Post by AkKind »

Fluffeh wrote:At the moment, I manually go through and slice'n'dice my mic track to keep things clean when I make a video. Optimally, I'd simply set Dxtory to only record audio when I que my mic, but with two separate keys for TS and in-game, I'm stymied. I've found noise-gating to temperamental, although truth be told I haven't fiddled with it too much.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I encountered the same problem. I'm using Fraps but as it is right now I've set it up so that FRAPS records my microphone whenever I press my push to talk button for VOIP. Which would mean Teamspeak not being recorded. But I've set up Teamspeak so that it starts recording my microphone in TS when I start recording with Fraps. For example mission starts I hit "F9" Fraps starts recording and Ts starts recording. On this way I record both only when I'm hitting my push to talk button for either one. In the end you can easily add the Teamspeak audio file to the regular video file you recorded and there you have it without any annoying background noise :).

I think you can setup Dxtory in a similar way to that, hope it helps you out.

Good job Dogface! I think the cam labels should stay, if you're switchting perspectives more often it might get confusing when you wasn't paying attention on who's perspective that is right now. But maybe you could make them somewhat transparent, not sure if that's possible though.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Thanks for the great feedback, glad it struck a chord! So:

* Player-cam labels will stay, then (might adjust them a little).
* Plan screens - I always thought these were missing from Arma vids. They shall be expanded upon for more complex missions. Is it worth showing the first screen, with captures of the mission notes? Or should I just summarize that stuff in the plan screen?
* Mamba, thanks for the ORBAT addon, exactly what I wanted, cheers. I can't seem to find it though, do you have a link? Also, what was the mission/map recorder thing we were talking about the other day? Does that need to be run on the server or could I do it at my end? Because that would be incredibly useful for keeping track of where everyone is without having to hope that random map-checks show it.
* That's good advice about using different shots for different things; I'd been planning in that direction but those are some solid pointers. I didn't do many transitions in this vid cos I'm still working out how to do them right, in a way that isn't disorienting.

So yeah, I may bash together a couple more of these from existing footage, but also, be sure and gather some from tonight's session if you're able. :)