The Revolution and You(tube)

All Party-approved topics welcome
Pr3sario

Re: The Revolution and You(tube)

Post by Pr3sario »

Dogface wrote:Is it worth showing the first screen, with captures of the mission notes? Or should I just summarize that stuff in the plan screen?
I think showing it is fine - but leaving it on the screen of long enough to read it properly is probably too long. Dunno how you'd balance that.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

FA forums are a great thing, you'll find everything there to satisfy your needs. Even Tigershark.
http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2715#p2715
I haven't had time to mess with that AAR addon yet, as I was busy devising new ways to destroy the Party from the inside by killing K19. I'll keep you updated.

I really really like the plan screen. It would be quite nice to have a few of them during a mission indeed, to outline those moments when the plan is drastically changed, or in adversarials to show cunning maneuvers and stuff.
Dogface wrote:I didn't do many transitions in this vid cos I'm still working out how to do them right, in a way that isn't disorienting.
Here's one idea: Let's say you have Player1's POV on screen, and you want to transition to Player2's as he's about to witness something awesome. Something like ten/fifteen seconds before the switch, you introduce Player2's POV in a small screen.
Then you switch fully to Player2, and depending on what's up at Player1's, you keep his POV in the corner or not.
Way I see it, it does kinda alert the viewer that something is about to happen to Player2, so he starts shifting his attention to that new little screen. When the switch occurs, he's prepared to it, whereas if the little screen was always there, he's probably not looking at it and might be surprised by the switch.

Also, people, a reminder, Blastcore FX is f-ing awesome. We have a version (that I won't distribute publicly, but I have authorization to give it to y'all), that doesn't change the smoke grenades, making it perfectly safe to use in MP. Ask on the skype channel!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I'll wait till I've completed the much-needed upgrade to my PC before installing, but cool, Mamba!

Footage for last night (21st) is uploaded to FTP; anyone else get some? :)

AkKind

Post by AkKind »

Yup I've uploaded mine today. Unfortunately I was not there for the first mission, so that one's missing.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

I've uploaded a test file, Dogface - could you download it and see if the format is suitable. It has 3 audio tracks = ingame, TS and Mic.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Pr3sario wrote:I've uploaded a test file, Dogface - could you download it and see if the format is suitable. It has 3 audio tracks = ingame, TS and Mic.

Perfecto! Works great!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Also, thanks AkKind - it looks great! If anyone else has some footage of Clear Skies, or 2 people have footage of Forest Gateau, I'll be able to put together something tasty. Cholo was over in a moment, and my footage of Police Rescue is no good due to low frame rate.

Btw, Pr3sario reports that the free setup for splitting audio channels (game, ts, mic) using VB Audio and Voicemeeter works well and is easy - so that's one less hurdle for folks. :)

Still hungry for footage so if anyone has any problems getting set up, let me know and I'll see if we can get them sorted.

Also! Some numbers. On Tuesday I got 1h44m of footage at 720p, which took up 6.82GB before transcoding, 2.50GB after. Transcoding took a couple of minutes queueing and 2 hours of background processing. Uploading to FTP took about an hour and a half (in the background).

Zenzos

Post by Zenzos »

Hello Fellow Propaganda Comrades

First I will share my noobie experiences in making videos.

Capturing:
I tried to use the usual suspect namely FRAPS and dxtory and I found them lacking in either useful output materiel (dxtory) or perfomance.

Now I use shadowplay which has no fps impact as long as i use an ssd for recording. My fps got wildly inconsistent for me when using a regular harddisk.
Also direct mp4 output is nice.

The issue with shadowplay at the moment is that its beta at best.

It crashes, stops recording for no reason and i get sound issues (wobbing) if i record more than 30mins.
Before the latest update I had to bend over backwards to be able to even record amra 2, see here.
Which now is no longer necessary since the last update, but I have to test it tomorrow to be certain.

Shadowplay is a good peace of software which has its birthing problems.
I seen it go from completely unusable to mildly buggy in a just a few months.
In a mother few months shadowplay could be a real reason to buy nvidia cards.

Editing:

For editing i also tried a few different options for windows which i cannot remember now.
Then I tried Kden-Live on my notebook where I have a linux install (which you sadly need) and was amazed by the ease of the interface.
I never editied anything in my live and with KDEN-Live I felt at at home after 15mins of using it.
Just click,drag add a few transitions and the videos finished.
There are options of course to do more fancy stuff which i don't have the skill to use yet.
There is an included audio editor which also seems to offer anything audacity can.

If you alredy use linux or ios on a machine i can only recommend this software.
I will also make a guide on how to set up a usb stick with linux to be able to test and use KDEN-Live for everyone who is not afraid of using linux.

My raw footage will be uploaded to the ftp to be used in official party propaganda.

Furthering the Folk Youtube Revolution

My footage can be used for video making by any comrade including my edited stuff.
I still have a few files where the audio is just obnoxious wobbing after some time. I will mark them as audio broken. and upload them in the near future.

I can make a guide for KDEN-Live in the wiki if anyone's interested.

For the revolution!

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Zenzos wrote:I found them lacking in either useful output materiel (dxtory)
Hey Zenzos, was the problem that the file size was too big? There is a few things that can be done about this if it's the case.

Dogface - on another point entirely, do you have any thoughts about the removal of footage from the FTP?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Welcome comrade Zenzos! It's fantastic to see another volunteer for regular recording as this will help us build up a baseline of footage so we actually have something to put together and edit. :P Shadowplay certainly sounds interesting and I'll be keen to hear how its reliability improves over time. Kden also sounds like it could be a good option for people. I still think Dxtory is a good option for people who are able to get their hands on a copy of it though, as Handbrake makes it very easy to convert into a suitably compressed format once it's set up -- it takes me literally about 60s after a session, then a couple of hours of background processing.

It seems a lot of people have been experiencing recording problems of one sort or another, and I'm sorry I'm not able to be of more help in solving them; I only have meagre technical knowledge. <:) But if anyone out there is having problems, please do post here, or in the Skype room, etc -- hopefully the hivemind will be able to offer some solution. At this stage I am still super keen to do anything I can to encourage more people to get recording and sharing footage.

As an update, I'm trying to find the time to sit down and have a real go at putting together something for Clear Skies, for which we have footage from me, AkKind, Iceraiser and Zenzos. Considering just taking the plunge and getting Vegas for that, though, since the multicam and import features seem a lot better and the interface seems like it'll be familiar enough. In the meantime I've been powering through my backlog of solo footage, getting my editing practices and tricks down pat, and generally limbering up. But I'll try and get Clear Skies done this week. :)

AkKind would probably be better positioned to comment on the FTP space issue since I don't think I can check how much free space is remaining; I guess he'll let us know if it's starting to run low. Until then, may as well keep everything on there. If we do need to delete stuff, I think I have everything downloaded onto my big HDD already; either way, I'm sure we can find enough local storage space for it. :)

Thanks for all your contributions so far, folks, this is starting to take shape and hopefully soon it will officially be A Thing. :)